should i go with a 4mill stroker crank or stock stroke

phil0839

There is no need to buy new cylinders.

The port timing adjustments are minor and the cost is not bad at all. Less than half of the original port job.

That all depends on who did the porting and and what style of port job you have. I have herd fast, hjr, wild card all say that their dune port cannot be reported for a 4 mill because the the transfer ports are opeaned up to far. If you have a clean up port job then yea you probably can get away with it. I am sure there are shops that claim to know what they are talking about, that say they can just to make a buck. Look at it this way; You have one shop saying you need to start over with new cylinders, the other shop says they can report them with no problems. Wich one are you going to chose? Your banshee will still run, it just wont have the power that it could.

josh

That all depends on who did the porting and and what style of port job you have. I have herd fast, hjr, wild card all say that their dune port cannot be reported for a 4 mill because the the transfer ports are opeaned up to far. If you have a clean up port job then yea you probably can get away with it. I am sure there are shops that claim to know what they are talking about, that say they can just to make a buck. Look at it this way; You have one shop saying you need to start over with new cylinders, the other shop says they can report them with no problems. Wich one are you going to chose? Your banshee will still run, it just wont have the power that it could.

josh

That is true I guess but look at it this way. Either way there going to make a buck by either being able to adjust the port timing or by saying you need new cylinders.

Its not uncommon to add a 4 mill crank down the road. My motor was built by Cascade Innovations close to where I'm at. From the beginning of my build Chris new what I had planned.

Eventually I wanted to go to a 4 mill. Based on that I've been told there will be no problems adjusting my motor for the 4mill crank. I guess we will see. I've had a good relationship with cascade

And I hope they will not steer me wrong. In the future for my next build I will have one of our sponsors do my motor. At the time of my first build I wasn't a regular around here and was not a sponsor.

I also do my best to buy from our sponsors as well.

In my opinion you should go with the 4mil. if you have the money or want a project for a little while. Eventually your going to want more power, and take it from me personally going 4 mil. will save you money in the long run because in a year or 2 youll want to go 4mil.

I'm getting ready to do the stroker crank and porting conversion on my own Banshee. I vote to just do it right with the 4 mil the first time. After having a previous Banshee modded out to the max with a stock stroke, I wouldn't even consider not doing a stroker the second time around. I don't believe you would be disappointed. :headbang:

You have to buy a new crank anyway, do the 4mil, you will reget it if you dont.

That's only if he can afford the WHOLE set up. He can get a used stoke stroke crank for cheap. My 4mil new was very expensive.

I will go with the rest and say only do it if you can afford it. But if money is tight, just rebuild as it was. If you looking for a little more power, get her ported and leave it as is. Stock stroke ported bikes are a great deal of fun. You can get the power band perfect for what you do.

i bought my 4mil a couple of years ago because i needed a new crank and the price diff between a 4mil and a stock stroke crank wasnt very much so i figured why not. i couldnt afford the 4mil port so i went with the spacer plate method. it doesnt make alot more power but it is a better foundation to build on later than a stock stroke.

and i have heard a few times that if you have an agressive port job (agressive dune or drag port) you cant port it for a 4mil. id get the 4mil crank and port later when you can afford it if money is tight now.