I want more HP

00sheerzr

we mostly ride trails and im worried about straight line racing, ive been riding since i was 7 and this his his first quad and he started riding dbikes 2 years ago, so im not worryed about him on a track just because he doesnt know how to handle that much power, im planning on sending my cylinder out to get ported and honed, i just compression tested bith side on warm motor at 115 psi, i really dont want to spend another 200$ on pistons so i might just hone and new rings and wristpin bearings and such , what do you guys think should i be fine doing that, i really cant spend much money because i want a new car soon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as your pistons aren't worn too bad you're probably fine re using them. Check the wristpin journal (our whatever its called) for excessive wear, and look for cracks or any damage to the skirts.

Best of luck beating that 450. They are effortless to ride compared to a Banshee, imo.

I have a YFZ and a shee

My shee has a decent amount of work done to her, and will smoke the YFZ all day, but still the 450's are no joke.

If you are looking to take this to a track with your buddy and you are both good riders, and skill level is the same. You are gonna have your hands full

Even if you do hang with the 450, its gonna take just about every last drop of energy you have in your system. the yfz is a smoother more gentle ride than the shee.

If you just want a solid, strong running shee, listen to these guys here, they know there shit.

Bump the compression, advance the timing, do the reeds/pipes and maybe if you wallet can handle it all at once some porting and it will be night and day.

good luck and keep us posted

Good points, my mind always goes straight to drag racing when you start talking racing. On anything other than that the YFZ has a big advantage. those damn things practically ride themselves. :rotflmao: Like mentioned, if you are a much better rider you will be fine, but you are going to work for it.

I will disagree with what BSHEE400 about bigger carbs. My 4mil ran like a champ on stockers. I've been told time and time again that smaller carbs will net better low end.

My vote is a port job(depends who your nuts swing from, mines flotek of course), vf3 reeds, milled head(if you dont want to buy a cooling head), a good driver and TRACTION.

Anyways, read very close what Burt Reynolds said. You GOTTA put that power to the ground.

Check this video outof my buddy riding my sheet. It's his first time racing it. My bike is pushing way more power than the others. However, for the difference in power is has, it sure isnt beating them by much. And if it didnt have an override, subtract about 3-4 lengths or more off each race. Yes it makes that much of a difference. Now if you look at the end of the video, a nice stretched yfz450 that is set up eats my bike alive again and again. Set for the win. Moral is dont port the bike etc and go out there thinking you will win. You might have the power but you might not have the skill or traction to do it. I've lost more than i won for sure on my banshee.

Edited by RagunCajun

true on the traction part, i just got smoked by a 02 wrx today with a few bolt ons and i have a nordic stage 3 saab 93 turbo with about 330 340 hp and all i did was ruin my tires , i guess its guna take lots of money to put a spankin on a yfz soo wish me luck and im sure guna give jeff at fast a call soon :evil:

true on the traction part, i just got smoked by a 02 wrx today with a few bolt ons and i have a nordic stage 3 saab 93 turbo with about 330 340 hp and all i did was ruin my tires , i guess its guna take lots of money to put a spankin on a yfz soo wish me luck and im sure guna give jeff at fast a call soon :evil:

I guess I am lucky or just patient. I blew my motor up 10 minutes after I got it home from the guy I bought it off of. I rebuilt it 4 days before sandfest in Waynoka. I wasn't so patient to jet it correctly and it got hot and collapsed a ring. Soooo when I got home, I tore it all apart AGAIN and I just started talking to all my friends about some ported jugs. I traded my stock jugs and $100 for a set of dune port jugs with boost ports (not sure if boost ports are typical) from JSR performance here in Wichita, KS. I also got a milled head for $85. JSR has tons of milled heads so if you need one, lemme know. I put an adjustable plate in it with +4 degrees. THen boysen reeds. Lastly, I traded CamATV my t-6 pipes for a set of CPI bigbore pipes and silencers. I never touched the crank or tranny. My crank is solid and no play in the rods at all. Once the motor was broke in (10 heat cycles), I put it on the dyno and it made 68 hp. My compression is 155 lbs/cylinder. Thats getting to the point of needing a trued and welded crank. I think its 160 lbs and ur gonna start having crank problems. Mine is for the most part stock and I can walk a lot of 450's. Buuuuut with that being said, I have to run em down in the top end. There is nooooo way on gods earth I can beat a 450 outta the hole. If I were u, I would buy one piece at a time. Thats what I did. Searched craigslist, ebay and of course the for sale section on here and stuck to my budget. U can do it, I promise. Just don't get in a hurry and try to rush it because you will have the same issues I did and blow motors up and melt em down. Its winter, can't ride much anyway unless u wanna rejet for the cold weather because cold weather will lean a 2 stroke out fast and u know what that means.....blow up time. If you need a head, I have to have ur stock head and $85.

Sounds killer, the only thing you said i disagree with is the stuff about not needing to weld a crank until a certain psi compression. I have had 3 yes 3 banshees separate cranks that were stock compression bolt on bikes, no porting. 2 stock cranks and 1 hot rods. Now i bought all the bikes used and do not know all the history on them, but 2 of them i know had never been opened up before the cranks went tits up on me. I will never own a banshee stock or otherwise without welding the crank. Its just not worth a ruined trip over something as silly as a crank coming apart. just my .02

hey guys i got a 1992 banshee with t5s and k&n and my friends goin to buy a yfz 450 and i know hes guna run his mouth that its faster and i hate people like that lol , his bikes guna be built, i thinks its got cams and hi comp piston, what should my next mods be so i can smoke his ass and shut him the F**K up, i know im a better rider so il smoke him on a track all day

dude-my stocker with vitos superstock pistons and fatties blew 450s by 2 bikes all day long.port it pipe it and enjoy the outcome.little work and u should eat that 450 easily.never had one-or a raptor 700 pass me-EVER.

I will disagree with what BSHEE400 about bigger carbs. My 4mil ran like a champ on stockers. I've been told time and time again that smaller carbs will net better low end

i totally agree with you that smaller carbs will make better bottom end power, but when i made that statement about "maybe some bigger carbs" all i had to go on was that he wanted more HP, he had said nothing about trail riding at this point. when i hear HP i think top end power :shrugani: