Tranny

Alright guys so i started finally putting my 4mil. together and I've got most of the bottom end in place. However before proceding I want to check the tranny and make sure i have all the gears. I first just shifted through without the actual gears installed to make sure the drum and forks were in the right place. Then i put the gears on, set the top half in place and tried to shift through the gears while spinning the small gear set by hand. i checked multiple times. A couple times i got all 6 gears with no trouble, but most of the time I could only get to 3rd and sometimes 4th gear, then when down shifting when i went to go into 1st it had alot of drag then almost like popped then it seemed to work normal. Now i know you have to have the engine running normally to be able to shift, which is why since i got all 6 gears a couple times I figured these problems were just because spinning it by hand is inconsistant and sometimes i would have to stop and make sure the shifter is still in place. Am i right and should i proceed or is there something wrong with the tranny?

I'm no expert on the tranny but I just got done doing a rebuild and had the same exact problem as you. Was worried but went ahead and put it all back together. Once I put the chain back on and had someone roll the back wheels, I was able to hit all gears.

Yeah thats what i figured, as long as the forks and drum are in it should be good. Im just being perinoid because i dont want to have to pull it aparts again. Well i guess the crank and rest of the bottom end goes in tomorrow :headbang:

It would do the first one sometimes when upshifting but then if i turned the small gear set like another turn it would go in, but sometimes when dropping into first the gears would feel like theres and extra load on them then it would kind of pop and it would be fine. but since i did nothing to the gears and the drum and forks are right, I think these problems are just from inconsistant turning and stopping turning the gears in the middle of shifts and what not

Sounds typical of a constant mesh transmission. I would say that the important thing is that it does engage each gear and when it is engaged to each gear it rotates smoothly. I would definitely inspect each gear to make sure all the teeth are in good shape. A crack in a tooth can be catastrophic inside a case at high RPMs.

But that is exactly how I check mine as I go back together. It is also good to bolt the cases together before applying sealant and check shifting again. Just to insure everything is located and seated correctly.

SP