Clutch

spurdy

What is your opinion on after market clutch parts. Such as Basket, Inner Hub, and Pressure Plate. Is the basket the most important part and how important are the inner hub and pressure plate? Is stock sufficient for these items as long and you run a good clutch pack and/or DD or slingshot?

SP

Edited by spurdy

OEM is fine on inner and outer hubs. Billet basket is a good idea. Heavy Duty clutch is a good idea.

Thanks Jeff. What is the benefit to the billet inner hub and billet pressure plate?

SP

You will go faster due to a lighter wallet. :)

On smaller motors, it's just not needed...and the price isn't justified. I replace my inner and outer hub every two years. Not because they're worn, because for 50 bucks or so, it's just piece of mind.

Stock baskets groove very, very easily.

I've had excellent luck with my inexpensive Magnum basket from FAST.

Once you start getting into bigger motors then straight cuts, 8 plate or larger clutch setups, etc. come into play.

You will go faster due to a lighter wallet. :)

On smaller motors, it's just not needed...and the price isn't justified. I replace my inner and outer hub every two years. Not because they're worn, because for 50 bucks or so, it's just piece of mind.

Stock baskets groove very, very easily.

I've had excellent luck with my inexpensive Magnum basket from FAST.

Once you start getting into bigger motors then straight cuts, 8 plate or larger clutch setups, etc. come into play.

Thanks Dave, I've got a Hinson basket in now and it looks like brand new still. I have another motor I am putting together for my boy and the stock basket in that one is grooved so badly it looks like it is supposed to be that way!

I was gonna give him mine and buy me a new one (complete) but if there is no gain I'll just look into getting another billet basket for that motor also.

SP

I replaced mine with a Hinson basket, stock inner hub and p-plate, and a Tusk clutch kit several years ago and it held up really well. I just replaced the clutch kit with a FAST kit but the basket, hub and p-plate were all still in great shape. Unless you go with a really well built motor, that kind of set up should be sufficient.