Clutch shaft broke? I think? please help

ERICMXZX440

I have a friend with a 1999 shee. Yesterday we were playing around in the snow and his clutch lever went limp. When moving the clutch handle in and out it does move the clutch shaft that goes into the case (so cable is fine). It does feel like there is nothing grabing. You can even turn the shaft back and fourth with your hand very easy.

Any ideas on what to check for?

Thanks in advance!!!

so the clutch arm that comes out of the case can be turned by hand?

sounds like you might have welded the clutch rod to the ball. if thats the case, you will probably need a new clutch shaft. you will need to do the following:

1. drain the coolant by pulling the hose off that goes into the front of the clutch cover.

2. drain the oil via the drain bolt on the bottom of the case.

3. take kick starter off.

4. take clutch cover off.

5. take the pressure plate off by loosening the 6 bolts that hold the clutch springs.

6. pull the pressure plate off.

once the pressure plate is off, you should be able to look in there and see whats going on. chances are the clutch ball has welded itself to the push rod and the inside of the clutch shaft.

were you guys using the clutch a lot? doing donuts maybe and using the clutch a lot?

so the clutch arm that comes out of the case can be turned by hand?

sounds like you might have welded the clutch rod to the ball. if thats the case, you will probably need a new clutch shaft. you will need to do the following:

1. drain the coolant by pulling the hose off that goes into the front of the clutch cover.

2. drain the oil via the drain bolt on the bottom of the case.

3. take kick starter off.

4. take clutch cover off.

5. take the pressure plate off by loosening the 6 bolts that hold the clutch springs.

6. pull the pressure plate off.

once the pressure plate is off, you should be able to look in there and see whats going on. chances are the clutch ball has welded itself to the push rod and the inside of the clutch shaft.

were you guys using the clutch a lot? doing donuts maybe and using the clutch a lot?

If it were welded together wouldn't there still be pressure form the pressure plate and the springs? I have seen were the bolts into the clutch boss have broken releasing the spring tension against the pressure plate thus the rod would then be able to move freely.

In any case, Tyler is right, you gotta pull the cover and check out the clutch assembly.

SP

sounds like he snapped his eccentric screw. i had the same symptoms u r describing. my lever went limp and i could move it up and down like nothing. the eccentric screw is wat the shift shaft torsion spring rides on and gives the shifter that tension u normally feel and once it snaps it has nothing to spring against. i could only shift between 1st, N, and 2nd. just my .02.