2001 Banshee

hey my name is danny, got a 2001 banshee rode it for about an hour or so and it stalled out.. kick started it a few times got it to run and now it doesnt want to go into gear. any ideas? thank you for your help

Did you just get the bike, how does the oil look? Is it stuck in neutral?

scratch that... im real low on oil... which oil is recommended and should that do the trick?..

appreciate the help

No, adding oil will not make it shift but if you ran it low on oil, it is possible that something has seized. OTOH, it sounds more like the typical shift claw has jumped off of the shift star. We mfg a star with longer pins that fixes it if that is what is causing your problem. Have to pull the side cover off and star there.

http://www.mullengineering.com/sc/store.php/products/yamaha-banshee-yfz-rz-billet-shift-star-shaft-drum-transmission-race-drag-sand-shifting-hard-online

Mull Engineering

No, adding oil will not make it shift but if you ran it low on oil, it is possible that something has seized. OTOH, it sounds more like the typical shift claw has jumped off of the shift star. We mfg a star with longer pins that fixes it if that is what is causing your problem. Have to pull the side cover off and star there.

http://www.mullengin...ing-hard-online

Mull Engineering

X2. Worn out rivet on the shift claw will do it everytime. Or the nub inside the clutch cover that maintains position on the shift shaft. However, worn claw is more likely.

SP

X2. Worn out rivet on the shift claw will do it everytime. Or the nub inside the clutch cover that maintains position on the shift shaft. However, worn claw is more likely.

SP

alright thanks a lot, im going to take the shell off tomorrow. is it visible that i can see the shift claw worn out?.. if something did seize would i be lookin at a lot of work? also... wat is done with the bike is its ported and polished, wiseco pistons on stock bore.. boost ottle, toomey pipes and jetted.. idk if you have any suggestions.. thanks aain

x3, but how did it stall out? what happened? what were you doing?

I was driving it in a few inches of snow whippin it around.. than took it on a side street that was ncely plowed and was flying up and down the block and than just stalled out.. go it to start up after two kicks and than it would just run.. i try and shift up an down and it doesnt go into gear..

also any recommended type of motor oil to put in.. ..?what brand/type? been runnin my gas 32:1 ratio with maxima oil and 93 octane gas mixture

I use ATF but anything works in the tranny as long as it is good for a wet clutch. Some run a BelRay GearSaver 75 or 80 weight, 10W40 motor oil and some atf.

You can see the claw right behind the lower left of your clutch pack. But be careful when you remove the clutch cover as it is very easy to "correct" the problem before you see it because there is a nub on the clutch cover that prevents the shift shaft from coming into the cover too far. If it comes over farther it may correct itself before you can see what is wrong and leave you stumped.

SP

I use ATF but anything works in the tranny as long as it is good for a wet clutch. Some run a BelRay GearSaver 75 or 80 weight, 10W40 motor oil and some atf.

You can see the claw right behind the lower left of your clutch pack. But be careful when you remove the clutch cover as it is very easy to "correct" the problem before you see it because there is a nub on the clutch cover that prevents the shift shaft from coming into the cover too far. If it comes over farther it may correct itself before you can see what is wrong and leave you stumped.

SP

when sitting on the quad is my clutch pack on the left(shiting side) or the right(kick starting side) of the quad. because i began to take off the cover on the left side and shifter (using 12 MM rachet) and cannot pull it off to take the black casing off.

when sitting on the quad is my clutch pack on the left(shiting side) or the right(kick starting side) of the quad. because i began to take off the cover on the left side and shifter (using 12 MM rachet) and cannot pull it off to take the black casing off.

The clutch is on the right side. The side the brake is on. The fly wheel is on the left side. You should probably invest in a Bible (Clymer's manual) at this point bro!

SP

The clutch is on the right side. The side the brake is on. The fly wheel is on the left side. You should probably invest in a Bible (Clymer's manual) at this point bro!

SP

nah i will invest in the bible. lol but im going to take off the right side tomorrow.. but doing so, do i need to take any fluids out or anything before? i swear dude.. hopefully this is the last ? ill ask aha..thanks for everything again bro, really appreciate it and merry fuckin x mas eve!