slingshot lockup

locogato11283

i dont need a lockup, but i do a lot of reading on the internet and sometimes i get to thinking about how shit works.. so i look up the slingshot and begin to wonder, just how the hell does this thing work?

i understand the concept of the lockup quite well. on the direct drive lockup, as the clutch spins, the arms flip outward and onto the pressure plate. the faster the clutch spins, the harder the arms press on the pressure plate.. i understand this concept and how it helps to hold the clutch..

however, i find myself questioning how the slingshot works.. ive seen the pics. i see the balls. once the clutch spins, the balls are forced outward and seemingly away from the clutch towards the cover itself, judging by the picture. how does this help to hold the clutch? it seems to me that youre just adding more spinning weight to the clutch itself, instead of actually having that weight holding the clutch..

now, if the balls were forced outward and in toward the clutch, i can see how that would possibly help, but still cant imagine its nearly as effective as the arms on the direct drive lockup.

discuss..

sometimes i get to thinking about how shit works..

Does this keep you awake at night?

I believe how the sling shot works is. The channels that the ball bearings are in is a ramp shape. So as the rpms build it forces the balls up the ramp. That causes the lock up to slightly expand and put pressure on the pressure plate. I dont own a sling shot but I bet it can be adjusted by the # and weight of the ball bearings too.

Does this keep you awake at night?

I believe how the sling shot works is. The channels that the ball bearings are in is a ramp shape. So as the rpms build it forces the balls up the ramp. That causes the lock up to slightly expand and put pressure on the pressure plate. I dont own a sling shot but I bet it can be adjusted by the # and weight of the ball bearings too.

haha no, not really..

i understand the concept of the slingshot, but i see the issue being with the balls and the ramp.. as the clutch spins, the balls are forced UP the ramp, which is also forcing the balls AWAY from the clutch. it seems like the balls should be forced TOWARDS the clutch.

ive never seen the slingshot in person so maybe im missing something. maybe there is a part there that i cant see in the picture.

haha, did you forget that the balls ramp tward another plate? spreading the 2 plates apart.........

no, i havent forgotten about the outer plate. if the balls are forced OUTWARD against the stationary plate, how is that helping to put pressure on the clutch pack?

shayne, so the idea is that the balls actually push the innner piece towards the clutch? it seems to me that if the specs were that tight, where the balls were actually pushing back against the inner piece, that the balls could in theory wedge themselves in between the inner and out plates. it seems like you would still only get minimal pressure that way, but maybe not.

also, you say there are two styles of this thing. i can see it looks like the two pictures on their website are different. does anyone have a picture of the damn thing in a bike?

shayne, so the idea is that the balls actually push the innner piece towards the clutch? it seems to me that if the specs were that tight, where the balls were actually pushing back against the inner piece, that the balls could in theory wedge themselves in between the inner and out plates. it seems like you would still only get minimal pressure that way, but maybe not.

Yep, That inner plate pushes on the clutch pack. That inner plate can travel around 3/16" to 1/4" and the balls will still retain in their channels. I havn't actually measured it yet.. In theory they could wedge themselves I guess.. But as long as your with in spec on your clearance you shouldn't have that problem.

Yeah there is 2 styles. one that mounts under a stock cover and one that needs a modded cover. With the under cover version.. The inner plate is the pressure plate.. So the lockup pushes directly onto the clutch pack rather then apply pressure through the stock pressure plate. So the stock pressure plate is no longer needed with that style.

I think Dave has some pics of his slingshot.

You guys and your ball talk....

As said, the outer plate stays put, the inner plate with the balls, ramps and grooves pushes against the clutch pack.

I've used one for two years now Tyler...

I have to be honest, no difference between the two for our sized motors. The slingshot is known to hold bigger motors better.

I tried my slingshot with a single row of balls per groove (instead of two) and my clutch on my 10 mil cub slipped big time.

The next pass I put them all back in.

There are two ways to look at this. The slingshot is heavier than the DD style.

That can either limit or hold back the RPM...OR...it can help get the power to the ground by now allowing the motor to spin as quickly and as violently.

In all reality, my 10 mil cub runs the same numbers as other 10 mils done by A&S with DD Style lockups.

Kevin Gigot offered me a smoking deal on one a few years ago to try out, and since it gets the job done AND he's a sponsor over on ATVDragracers....I have no reason to take it out and switch.

There's actually 3 models for a banshee there's also the Light model which I have its just a little different and won't fit a stock cover. All of them work great, the undercover one is the most common. I know they will hold about 160HP with all the balls. Its.a great product and Kevin is the most honest guy in our sport.Get it you'll like it.

There's actually 3 models for a banshee there's also the Light model which I have its just a little different and won't fit a stock cover. All of them work great, the undercover one is the most common. I know they will hold about 160HP with all the balls. Its.a great product and Kevin is the most honest guy in our sport.Get it you'll like it.

Whats the 3rd model? kevin only told me about and gave me pricing on 2? The Light version and the under cover.