How to spruce up your stock headlights

ohSIXshee

i couldnt find anything on upgraging stock headlight so i thought i would show what can be done. i will take you step by step through the process. take the headlights appart, get the grill and lens seperate.

ban26.jpg

you can see how faded they are and my bike isnt that old its a 2006.

ban29.jpg

wet sand the whole thing. start with 1500 then 2000. depending on how scratched and chipped yours are you might want to start with 1000 grit. mine were just faded so i didnt need to take much off.

ban31.jpg

then i used some wax on a buffer the get the scratches out and ended up with this.

cut the grill off

i cut closer with a razor blade and sanded with 800 grit

ban37.jpg

to get rid of the sanding marks and fading. i took a heat gun to it. dont get it too hot or it will melt. you can see it change colors thats all you need to do.

ban38.jpg

i switched out the light bulbs with piaa h6m bulbs. the blue i was kind of iffy about. but when they are on they are white. http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=88&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=16548#vehicleSelect

ban22.jpg

you can see the difference with and with out the grill

ban24.jpg

the left one is piaa the right one is stock

ban23.jpg

final product

ban25.jpg

this is the piaa bulb. looks bright white, not blue.

ban01.jpg

this may be a stupid question but with those piaa lights are you running a different stator or will stock run them fine? thanks, by the way looks great i now have a small project for my bike thanks :(

Yea the stock stator will run them fine. They are a 35w bulb just like the factory ones. They are way brighter due to the color of light they produce though. I have them in my Banshee and Raptor and would do it over again. I went with the Original Piaa brand too. There is some people selling a knock off no name brands on ebay.

You can get kits at auto parts stores for doing this as well. I just used a Crystal View kit (chrome bag has a big CV on it) on my 91 explorer. They look bran new. The CV kit comes with 2 pieces of 1000 grit, 2 pieces of 2000 or 2500 grit paper, 6 polishing cloths, 2 pouches of plastic polish, 4 pouches of sealer.

The ones on my explorer were pretty bad so I bough some 400, 800, and extra 1000 grit paper. I didnt want to wet sand all day with 1000 grit paper. I also used a polishing buff wheel in a 1/4 in angled die grinder for the polishing. The sealer in the kit reminded me of tile floor wax. It was milky color and dried clear. You put 2 coats on each head light with the provided polishing cloths.

I would HIGHLY recomend the CV kit. It worked out great. You can get the kit at wal mart for $13

http://www.myheadlight.com/

josh

Yea the stock stator will run them fine. They are a 35w bulb just like the factory ones. They are way brighter due to the color of light they produce though. I have them in my Banshee and Raptor and would do it over again. I went with the Original Piaa brand too. There is some people selling a knock off no name brands on ebay.

You can get kits at auto parts stores for doing this as well. I just used a Crystal View kit (chrome bag has a big CV on it) on my 91 explorer. They look bran new. The CV kit comes with 2 pieces of 1000 grit, 2 pieces of 2000 or 2500 grit paper, 6 polishing cloths, 2 pouches of plastic polish, 4 pouches of sealer.

The ones on my explorer were pretty bad so I bough some 400, 800, and extra 1000 grit paper. I didnt want to wet sand all day with 1000 grit paper. I also used a polishing buff wheel in a 1/4 in angled die grinder for the polishing. The sealer in the kit reminded me of tile floor wax. It was milky color and dried clear. You put 2 coats on each head light with the provided polishing cloths.

I would HIGHLY recomend the CV kit. It worked out great. You can get the kit at wal mart for $13

http://www.myheadlight.com/

josh

does the sealer really work?

as for the tail light i used the stock braket. cut that down then i got a light from west marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/286375/377%20710/0/led%20light/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/40/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=led light&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=40&Ns=0&keyword=led light&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=13045

Your headlight lenses are plastic? Mine are glass, when did they switch? :confused:

My 89 has glass, my buddy's 02 are plastic. I think the change was made in the late 90's, i think they also change the way the grilles attach at the same time, becuase I was able to just pop the grille off my 89's

Yea it worked pretty well. They have a real nice glossly look. Like they are wet all the time.

I think they made the switch when they switched bulb style. Dont the earlier banshee's use a H3 halogen bulb, and the new ones use a H6M.

My 89 runs the H6Ms, i've owned it since it was brand new so I know they are original. Most parts lookups say all of them were H6M.