How to tell if shift shaft is bad

fastcar01

Well my machine was not liking shifting at higher RPMs. Seems like it is worse than it used to be. I pulled off the cover and everything looks OK except the screw that centers the spring on the shift shaft was loose (black screw that has jam nut and lock washer). I thightened it back up, not sure if that could cause an issue. I went through the manual and it says to use that screw for adjustment, I am thinking maybee that could have been the issue. Now looking at my shaft the end plate (with the hooks on it) is a little wobbly, not muhc but a little. How do I tell if this is piece is OK or needs replaced? Thanks

Edited by fastcar01

Well my machine was not liking shifting at higher RPMs. Seems like it is worse than it used to be. I pulled off the cover and everything looks OK except the screw that centers the spring on the shift shaft was loose (black screw that has jam nut and lock washer). I thightened it back up, not sure if that could cause an issue. I went through the manual and it says to use that screw for adjustment, I am thinking maybee that could have been the issue. Now looking at my shaft the end plate (with the hooks on it) is a little wobbly, not muhc but a little. How do I tell if this is piece is OK or needs replaced? Thanks

I said it a few times before but here it is again.

The screw your talking about is the eccentric screw, its like a cam, when you loosen the nut under it and turn it, it adjusts how the shift shaft grabs the star. The claws have to be set perfect with the same amount of gap on both sides or it will shift like dog shit.

Says the same thing and shows pics also in the clymers.

You Cant just tighten the eccentric screw down and call it good.

I have pics of what all mine looks like and how to set it, but just go look at your clymers man. If you don't have one, get one. Or i guess i can show pics of mine also/.

Its VERY simple to adjust and set right.

You want the claws on the end of the shift shaft to have the EXACT same distance from grabbing the pins on the shift star, you need to check this when its in any gear and NOT in neutral. If you didn't set the gaps properly with the eccentric screw then do it now or it will still shift like poo poo.

Do you understand what im saying about setting the shift shaft claws gap to engage the shift star properly? or you need me to huck up some pics? BTW, you can only see this with the cutch basket off again. :cheers:

Edited by savage420

Savage is exactly right. The vertical play in the claw can cause the claw to come over the front of the pins on the star and wind up rammed in the middle of the star. If this happens you will likely have to pull the clutch cover to un jam it. It's not worth trying to replace the claw. The item comes as a single piece and is about $50 form FAST. You can also buy a billet shift star with longer pins from "blowit" out of Wichita KS.

If you where just having issues shifting it was most likely the eccentric bolt as savage described.

SP