turbo banshee

slowrider660

I'm not too sure how it would act with a gas two stroke engine, but I will give you some info I learned a few weeks ago. The bigger the two stroke engine the less efficient it is. So say these big two stroke diesel engines wont run for shit without a turbo due these engines size and running off Venturi effect. This was word of mouth from someone that I trust so it could be looked into a little deeper I guess... But Banshee wise I would think SuperCharging one would be a lot easier, for one the boost stays more even and don't have to deal with back pressure caused by turbo and I'm guessing it would be much easier to tune as well.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffworks/200-how-diesel-two-stroke-engines-work-video.htm

most 2 stroke diesels use a 'supercharger' to fill the cylinders. it is a roots positive displacement type. it does not however produce measurable pressure or boost. it simply fills the cylinders since it cant pull the charge into the crankcase like most gas 2 strokes.

a turbo does have some parasitic pumping loss because it is a restriction in the exhaust but nothing compared to the loss of a supercharger. for an extreme example a modern hemi does not make enough power to turn the super charger of a top fuel dragster at full throttle. but at their power levels it doesnt matter much. thats a topic for another thread.

i have built a few turbo vehicles including 2 turbo 2.3 mustangs, a twin turbo 5.0 mustang that made just over 400 hp on a low boost tune. that motor has been ripped out for plans of something else of with 'un-natural' induction. my daily driver is a Merkur xr4ti with the turbo 2.3. 24psi and alcohol injection makes for fun. :D

Edited by Coupelx

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic