New to two strokes. Need help.

MDalton

Hey everyone just came into a 2001 Banshee 350 Twin carb (I think that what its called) Its been sitting for a few months. I have no information from the last owner on whats done to the quad but I got it running.Ohh and note I have diesel and auto mech skills but have never worked on a 2 stroke. So from reading the stickers on every thing it says it has "Pro design cool heads" "KEIHINS CPW Carbs" and Toomoy T5 Exhaust. So yesterday I couldn't get it running figured out it was a fouled plug so I fixed that. Today I took it out and it was running pretty good jumping over some crap going through pretty deep puddles air filter got a little wet but it was still running fine till I hit the road and it would bog at full throttle in 3rd and above :-( Hoping its just because of the wet filter. I also changed the fuel from whatever was in it before unknown to Honda HP2 32:1 mix. The spark plugs are gapped 0.30. Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess what i'm asking is:

1. Do you think the bog was from a wet filter? or gas change?

2. Where can I find the bolts for the rear break caliper?

3. Are the heads, Carbs and Exhaust crap or decent?

4. What kinda maint. should I do to a quad thats been sitting a few months?

1)You prob should read up about jetting the bike, your open throttle bog could be from too much fuel (may need to drop jetting).

2)You would most likely need to order those bolts Yamaha dealer IMO.

3) I don't know much about carbs but depending on what kind of riding your doing the head and pipes are nice. I personally run CPI pipes and a F.A.S.T Racing Noss head and stock carbs.

4) As for maintenance changing fuel like you already did, new plugs and clean your air filters, and change your gear oil you should be ready to rock out!

I don't know much about that honda oil??? (i run Amsoil Interceptor in my 06 banshee)

I'm no banshee expert, but just my opinion on this stuff.

You probably should do a compression check to make sure you dont have to run race fuel. 150 psi of compression is about the safe limit for pump premium fuel.

If you take the carbs off some time. Take note on what size pilot and main jets it has in it. If it has been siting for a while then maybe you should clean the carbs. That way you know whats in them for jetting, and you know they are clean.

It is all good stuff it has there.

What holds the carb top on? Keihin PWK28's have a flat plate with 2 or 3 phillips scews. PWK33,35, and PJ34's have a round cap that just scews on.

The prodesign cool head is a nice item. I run one on mine. It allows you to change the domes (combustion chambers) out to raise or lower comression

T5's are a good mid to top end pipe. The next step up is CPI's but they are more of a drag pipe, made to run on ported engines.

Ohh two other things. Neutral is super hard to get into, I have to use my hand. Every other gear is fine. When the clutch lever is pulled is still moving just a tiny bit. Seems that the clutch isn't engaging all the way.

I like to have about the thickness of a nickel in play between the clutch lever and pearch. That way you know it is engaged all the way. If it is to tight then you might not engage the clutch fully when let out and could burn / slip the clutch.

I found when trying to fish for neutral give the engine a quick rev with the clutch pulled in then find neutral as the engines rpms come back down.

josh

You probably should do a compression check to make sure you dont have to run race fuel. 150 psi of compression is about the safe limit for pump premium fuel.

If you take the carbs off some time. Take note on what size pilot and main jets it has in it. If it has been siting for a while then maybe you should clean the carbs. That way you know whats in them for jetting, and you know they are clean.

It is all good stuff it has there.

What holds the carb top on? Keihin PWK28's have a flat plate with 2 or 3 phillips scews. PWK33,35, and PJ34's have a round cap that just scews on.

The prodesign cool head is a nice item. I run one on mine. It allows you to change the domes (combustion chambers) out to raise or lower comression

T5's are a good mid to top end pipe. The next step up is CPI's but they are more of a drag pipe, made to run on ported engines.

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pics normal cam is dead. I guess its the PWK33,35?

Edited by MDalton