Bigger Carbs...PJ's vs PWK's..

RippinShee

I don't know the exact specs between the two carbs to list off the exact differances. The slides are differant, the way the carb pulls fuel through each jet is differant. the adjustments are differant. PJ's use the choke nob to set idle. there are several things that are differant, but the main reason people get them is they are more simple to tune, and are a more common carb now days.

like I said either carb will do, they just have thier differances, I first had PJ's and sold them for some PWK's. Then I sold the PWK's and went to alky Mikunis, and I just got a set of Lectrons that I am going to try out when I get back to the states.

The 34PJ's tend to be used where more bottom/mid is wanted. since they're a lil smaller and keep intake velocity higher you'll have a lil better throttle response. You'll get better topend performance from the 35 PWK but give up a lil on the bottom. . I find both carbs are easy to tune. Once you sync the idles its just like tuning a pwk. If your looking to save some cheddar and dont mind giving up a lil hp on the big end.. PJ's are the way to roll. You can find them every where on ebay. They are the stock carb for the trx 250r's. We have alot of people using the 34pj's on drag builds over here and they run VERY well. I really liked them on my dune/trail build.

I have 34PJs on alky for my 4mm drag motor... Love them. consistent, and easy to tune.

Also have 35mm PWK's on my trail/duner... Awesome carbs, again very easy to tune and perform very well.

You have quite a big window in my experience of tuning these carbs. Doesn't have to be an exact science (at least for me) to get great performance.

Ill only rejet for the winter. Leave it the same for spring/summer/fall. I dont mind running rich to save from tuning a bit. Just hammer down! lol

I would go with pwk's as well.

35's are $319 a pair from FAST.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=351

The PWK's have better throttle response due to the slides being a D shaped and thinner than the oval PJ's slides.

The PWK's also have a screw that holds the slide open for the Idle adjustment. The PJ's you turn the choke knob to adjust the Idle speed.

IF you pick the 34mmPJ's for a better bottom mid range, then why not go with a 33 PWK?

Yea the PJ's are a good carb. It has just been around for a while and improvements have been made. Keihin didn't design an inferior carb to replace the PJ's.

The D shaped slide is actually the only rounded face slide out of the top 5 carbs. Mikuni's TM, TMX and lectrons all have flat faces as well as the PJ even though its called a oval slide. I dont think the shape of the slide has as much to do with throttle response as much as other differences in carb designs like emulsion tube lengths, venting and what not. I wouldn't say that one is inferior to the other. I think each carb has its place.

Being that the PJ carbs are so common and cheap I think that makes them a more popular choice over the 33pwk. Dan hull suggested 34pj's to Bansheedan on his build over 33 and 35pwks.