Time to rebuild

Havok248

Its time to rebuild my pretty much stock banshee and since its gonna be apart im going to take this opportunity to do all the mods to it.. I have a few questions I know alot of you guys on the forums are going to suggest that i go to jeff or kevin, and i've looked at both sites and saw the prices were good and i know i can trust them.. my only problem is shipping my motor out.. I was thinking maybe to save some money i could just send the jug to get bored and ported, then order all the parts and do the rebuild myself, my only hesitation with that is ive never rebuilt a motor and I just dont want to waste money f***ing up. I was also thinking about my local engine shop down the road, I havent asked yet if they do ATV's but i know they do alot of different types of work. I know they do marine, and my buddy took the head from his volkswagen up there and they did a beautiful job.. this would be the cheapest route for me, but at this point im more interested in doing it right.

I would apprecciate ANY suggestions, thanks

Just about anyone can do a top end on a 2 stroke. Buy a clymers and it will be a piece of cake. When you send the jugs out shipping isn't very expensive and when you put it back together it is no different then rebuilding the top end. You don't have to send the entire motor out to have the porting done. Send out the jugs, have the porting done, buy your parts from the guy you decide to have do the porting, he ships everything back to you and you assemble by following the instructions in the clymers manual. Easy breezy.

Lots of people on here to help you along if you run into trouble. Just take your time and follow directions. Don't take shourt cuts, do a pressure test on the motor when it is done, check compression before you start the engine.

By the way, porting is by far the best bang for your buck, just plan your build and talk to builders before you start.

SP

Thats what I wanted to hear! I dont have a cylmers but i do have the service manual, im going to make the leakdown tester that is pinned above and i have a compression tester... Ill probably go with F.A.S.T Because jeff can port and has all the parts that i need. Now that i know the rebuild shouldnt be too hard im really excited about this build. :D

Thats what I wanted to hear! I dont have a cylmers but i do have the service manual, im going to make the leakdown tester that is pinned above and i have a compression tester... Ill probably go with F.A.S.T Because jeff can port and has all the parts that i need. Now that i know the rebuild shouldnt be too hard im really excited about this build. :D

You can't go wrong with Jeff. He is a great guy. I wouldn't make a decision until I talked to a few builders. Make your decision with your gut. There are a lot of good builders out there. Jeff is definitely one of them. And not to take anything away from him, I would visit with a few and then make a decision. Make sure you feel comfortable that they are committed to you first. Most builders either have or can get what is needed for you build.

I must give props to Kevin at HJR. I sent him my jugs over thanksgiving week a year and a half ago. He said 2 weeks maybe since it is a holiday. He had them done and parts ordered and everything back to me in 10 days door to door. He has been a rock since my build and answers my calls anytime. And I know he sees its my number and goes "oh shit!". Kevin might not keep everything on the shelf for "today or next day shipment" but a 10 day turn around (including transit time) to have all the parts to my door was amazing not to mention the holiday. Work and service second to none.

Call around, feel em out and pull the trigger. PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best of luck to you.

SP

Thanks for all the help spurdy. and thanks alf i'm definitely going to keep you in mind because for my budget polishing makes more sense then buying all the chrome and billet pieces

right on dude. i can get you some killer deals on modquad stuff.just pm me part numbers and what you want to have polished and ill get you some prices you will definantly like.