tranny second gear begin to seize on the shaft

Thewhite

I splitted my case du to a failed crank, then I inspected all the tranny part and I found a seized gear. I'm wondering if someone can expain me why my second gear of the rear shaft(sproket shaft) begin to seize on the tranny shaft. I can turn it by hand, but is very difficult. I probably will need to replace that gear, all the other gear look good and turn freely. I always run the klotz FLEX DRIVE 30 oil (2 stroke tranny oil) and it was never short on the oil level.

thanks

I splitted my case du to a failed crank, then I inspected all the tranny part and I found a seized gear. I'm wondering if someone can expain me why my second gear of the rear shaft(sproket shaft) begin to seize on the tranny shaft. I can turn it by hand, but is very difficult. I probably will need to replace that gear, all the other gear look good and turn freely. I always run the klotz FLEX DRIVE 30 oil (2 stroke tranny oil) and it was never short on the oil level.

thanks

Got pics? I don't think you'll find an explanation for that other than low oil, which apparently didn't cause your problem.

Got pics? I don't think you'll find an explanation for that other than low oil, which apparently didn't cause your problem.

Actually, full oil level with debris in the oil could cause the steel to gall and introduce interference between the gear and the shaft. It is likely the shaft may need replacement as well.

SP

thanks

Banshees have a weak spot there. Redone plenty of them. I believe there was a clearance/material issue from the OEM. The new parts from the OEM have been improved with a better bearing on them. I agree with the above, you need to inspect the shaft. A rough shaft will certainly cause another failed gear. WE have OD ground the shafts to knock .0002 off of them but do NOT attempt that without the right machines. You may also find a shop that will do it for you but gotta find the right guy...

B