riding in mi

GP1252

Mio, Mi., Bull Gap, Maltby Hills, Mack Lake, Meadowlands (W/of Mio; Luzerne, MI.) Most trails Tight, twisty. X-2 on DNR web site. Many motels in Mio, not sure of "cabins" also excellent canoeing. Now legal to ride on county roads, but NOT U.S. Forestry roads Unless already part of marked trail. Been legal to ride from trail-head into town for fuel for long time, think you had to walk across Hwy in town. Use U.S. 23 to avoid Detroit.

Edited by Larry's Shee

I'm sure someone will chime in with some areas in the U.P., but I would recommend the Baldwin area. My family has had property there for years and it is very ATV friendly.

Ok I will chime in and say the U.P., except go up to a little town called Copper Harbor, it is the furthest town north in Michigan, there is a restaurant there called the Mariner north, right on the main drag of town, they have cabins to rent and from what I remember it was not that bad of a price, but from there you can take the road for about 2 miles to the off road trails and go and see some real scenic views of Lake superior, The people are really friendly as long as you are not ripping up and down the street at midnight, There are very very few Do Nothing Rangers (DNR) up that way and even if you do run into one all they care about is that you have an ORV sticker, a couple of bucks and you can get them just about any holiday gas station as you are heading up that way. As far as eating, the Mariner north is a really excellent restaurant, there is also one called The Old Country Haus, along with like a mom and pop's type restaurant (dont remember the name) that is across the street from the mariner.

i Will second baldwin area as a great place to ride, we go up there at least four or five times a summer and camp and ride.Usually stage at club 37, also ride the tin cup. Also been up to copper harbor during the winter and stayed at the mariner north, cabins are nice and affordable. Dont know about the trails though. Oh and the mariners hot wings are amazing!

Edited by papa_smurf49319

^Baldwin, Club 37 fun trails. I grew up just north of there and its always fun to go back. I know on M55 are some cabins to rent and just into Irons also. I know for sure I will be riding the weekend of Sept.12th. getting a group together for my last week of not being married. Oh man and early doe season is around then to so I will be up almost every weekend. Give me a shout.

^Baldwin, Club 37 fun trails. I grew up just north of there and its always fun to go back. I know on M55 are some cabins to rent and just into Irons also. I know for sure I will be riding the weekend of Sept.12th. getting a group together for my last week of not being married. Oh man and early doe season is around then to so I will be up almost every weekend. Give me a shout.
thanks for the input guys. looks like im going to baldwin. seems like a good place to spend a couple days ill be up there sept 24th thru 28th

I'd take the UP and their demeanor and openness to the ATV crowd over just about anywhere in the Lower P.

The UP has NO business other than hunting and snomobile season, they get it. They are welcoming the ATV crowd with open arms.

However, the Baldwin trails are nice, two loops if I recall. One was like 27 miles the other was like 42. Only been there once, but some of the best trail riding I've ever done....

Seems like the DNR just wants to make your life hell anywhere in the lower, in the UP...they don't care....