Tusk top end gaskets..

So I just rebuild a bike and used a tusk top end gasket kit..

There were 2 base gaskets in the kit that were identical, having a thin line of adhesive on the same sides. They both appeared to be for the left cylinder as it would make sense that the sealant faced down. I didnt think much of it and put the bike together with the right side base gasket flipped over so it would fit..

Blew her up the following day as the gasket let air in and leaned out the cylinder.

I'm trying to get ahold of the company, but there website appears to be down..

Anyone else ever used these kits?

I did a little bit of researching and noticed that alot of people complain about the 4 stroke top end kits that they make as well.. Not only did they supply me with 2 left side base gaskets I had to file the holes a bit to make them slide over the cylinder studs dowels..

img2998s.th.jpg

That is the way the factory gaskets are made also, so I doubt if that is the only reason it blew up. What actually blew up, melted piston, rod let go, crank bearings?Did you properly break it in? Did you make sure the crankcase was clean before you put it together? Did you check for proper piston clearanc and ring gap?Did you change anything else that would require a jetting change? Is it jetted correctly now? Did you check your plugs to see if the mixture is right? I have never done a leak test on a new motor unless there was a problem that showed up after starting, but if you know your bike you should be able to tell if something is not right when you first ride it. If something is wrong, don't keep riding it hoping it will clear up.

I don't buy those kind of gaskets either. They have always blown out on my too. I only use the ones that have metal in them now. Athena made a decent one, the last one I got from Passion Racing. Not sure of the brand but it was a one piece composite. Nice gasket.

That is the way the factory gaskets are made also, so I doubt if that is the only reason it blew up. What actually blew up, melted piston, rod let go, crank bearings?Did you properly break it in? Did you make sure the crankcase was clean before you put it together? Did you check for proper piston clearanc and ring gap?Did you change anything else that would require a jetting change? Is it jetted correctly now? Did you check your plugs to see if the mixture is right? I have never done a leak test on a new motor unless there was a problem that showed up after starting, but if you know your bike you should be able to tell if something is not right when you first ride it. If something is wrong, don't keep riding it hoping it will clear up.

Thanks for the input bud, I dont know a damn thing about banshee's and will be sure to contact you next time I have a question..

Everything was gone over, it was the gasket. Thanks for your 10 cents though.

Thanks for the input bud, I dont know a damn thing about banshee's and will be sure to contact you next time I have a question..

Everything was gone over, it was the gasket. Thanks for your 10 cents though.

I was just saying that the factory gasket is the same for both sides, one goes on "upside down". I don't know much about those cheap gaskets, I only trust my motors to genuine Yamaha gaskets and have NEVER had a gasket problem with them. Just shows you, you get what you pay for! When I put an engine together, I like to only do it once, so I only use high quality parts. I also like to buy my parts once because every dollar counts and I don't like to walk or eat sand being towed. Now you have my full 10 cents.

I used the tusk top end gaskets when I did my rebuild and have yet to have a problem!(30 + hard days in the sand from upper 30's cold to upper 90's HOT) I to had to filp one up side down but as stated yamaha gaskets are the same! I haven't had many problems with the tusk products I have bought over the years so with that in mind I'd have to ask if you have checked to see if the bottom of the cylinder and your case are flat? Did you miss a step when you put that side together? Could be a hundred different one of them being a gasket that was doomed for failure from the get go!

vitos has some good base gasket choices. I used to buy there copper base gaskets...they had them in all thicknesses. Last time I checked they had stopped making anything but .020 copper gaskets. A worthy investment if you can use one that size. Copper is the best way to go in my opinion