boss billet intake problem

slopoke

Make the tool to pressure test the engine for leaks. I did the carb spray thing several times and it never showed the air leak I had between reed cage and cylinder. The leak tester was easy to use and build.

Very good point. The carb spray will only find bigger leaks...real tiny leaks sometimes won't show.

The leak down tester is obviously the best solution, but anyone can go buy a can of carb cleaner for a few buck, often having one laying around the garage.

Some people might not have the mean to make their own.

Bob from R&B Porting in MI makes a very nice kit for very reasonable, usually around 50 bucks on ebay. He's done all the part hunting for you, I have one, very quality unit.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if your not careful the carb cleaner will sneak around and get pulled into the intake side and make you think you found the prob. I prob don't know what i'm doing. But I did sleep at a hoilday inn(lol) Seriously though this not my first rodeo with tuning just first with the boss intake. If you read my post it doesn't make any difference from a 30 pilot to a 70+. But carb cleaner doesn't make any difference. It has blown my mind. It runs out fine it just backfires when you jam the throttle from idle.

I run the boss intake with the built in crossover and come to find out, it leaked every where. I bought the stuff to make a leak down kit and it only cost me $15 or so. All you need is two pvc caps, and two rubber caps for the exhuaust. In the picture you will see that I used rubber stoppers for the exhaust, however rubber caps will work better. Be carefull and keep the pvc plugs pointed away from you at all times! I got a nice cut on my forhead from one of them coming out a nailing me between the eyes... Any way, be carefull putting air into the motor, it doesn't take much. The standard is 6psi for 6min. So pressurize your motor to 6psi and if it will hold that pressure for 6 minutes you pass the test. Get yourself a bottle of soapy water, windex or something that will bubble up and spray the matting surfaces to find your leak. You will also need a low pressure tire gauge that reads 1-20psi. Someone jump in and help me if I forgot something.

smartcardpics050.jpg

Thanks all. I am headed to home depot to get some stuff to make one. I have the rubber freeze plugs already just need the pvc. I am certain it is in the intake. This airleak is so small ether or carb cleaner won't find it but it is increadible how bad it hurt the jetting. I pu stockers on the boss with some improvising and still had the problem. I have found airleakes before by spraying but have never seen one so small cause so much trouble. I will post my findings.

Thanks all. I am headed to home depot to get some stuff to make one. I have the rubber freeze plugs already just need the pvc. I am certain it is in the intake. This airleak is so small ether or carb cleaner won't find it but it is increadible how bad it hurt the jetting. I pu stockers on the boss with some improvising and still had the problem. I have found airleakes before by spraying but have never seen one so small cause so much trouble. I will post my findings.

You checked for a broken reed right

What needles are you running?

I wouldn't use rtv or high temp sealer on the intake or reeds. Gasoline breaks it down. If you need to use a sealer then use yamabond, threebond, moto seal, or any other sealer designed for engine cases.

My boss intake with built in crossover leaked a little between the rubber flanges and aluminum. I never had a running issue, but sealed it up when I found it doing a leak down test. I sealed it up with yamabond.

i have went from one extreme to the other with no difference. From top to bottom clip. I think the intake is the problem. Cause I kinda got discusted and pegged the throttle wot. The right side would spit pop and bang ont he top. Gotta be an air leak. Not gone chance hurting it futher till i do a leak down.