RMstator Stators any good?

For whatever reason when I rebuilt my motor, I lost the 12V circuit. Trying to measure 12V on all the wires, the yellow wire coming straight out of the stator when running is not registering anything at all. The black/white wire is reading 7V, but that's one of the CDI box wires, so it appears my 12V circuit is dead. I cleaned up the ground on the stator itself, but still no luck. The bike runs fine other than no lights so I guess the 12V circuit is separate.

Anyhow, I spent enough money on the rebuild already and just looking to have a good running bike.

Are these RMstator stator's any good. They are pretty low cost compared to OEM,

This is just the standard 100 watt version which should work fine for my two 35 watt lights.

d517_1_bl.JPG

that rm stuff is pretty good. havn't actually heard any real complaints but their stuff hasn't been around very long so not many people know about it and their quality is definitely called in to question. Time will tell, personally I run their stator, coil, and plate. had to use my oem boots on the coil but am pretty happy. any one I know that runs their stuff feels the same, good stuff for great price.

WORD OF THE WISE: STAY AWAY FROM "RICKEY STATOR"

Their ebay feedback looks pretty good. I've been thinking about a use OEM stator too, but considering I have a 94 banshee and the first model stator plug is 87-94, I'm stuck buying a pretty darn old use OEM stator.

Having a hard time wanting to buy something used that's potentially getting of age and nearly going to fail just like the one I had, that's why I'm leaning toward a new aftermarket.

Are there any recent threads of failures you can point me toward?

I did a search, but couldn't really find much on the stator itself. Seems some folks were ok with the CDI box.

Not sure, I may just go ahead and run this stator without lights for a while, but I've got another dunes trip in a month and I'd like to have lights for some night run fun..

You two are the first positive info I've ever heard about RM, how long ago were yours purchased? lately all their stuff has been junk.

I think you are thinking of Ricky Stator. There have been tons of complaints there. RM is a Canadian company (I don't know maybe they get there stuff from the same place as Ricky though). I bought one, never installed it, then traded if for some powdercoating so I can't attest to how well it holds up. For $100 though and I got it overnighted from Canada off of Ebay (actually got it the NEXT day, which is amazing), I think they're service is pretty good anyway.

Bummer, and comparing the Ricky Stator to the RMstator product pictures sure does seem they come from the same factory...:(

Here is a Ricky Stator listing picture from the RS site:

RS000B.jpg

And the RMstator

img_prod20_1_lg.jpg

Ding ding ding...I think we have a match.

I guess I'll do some searching for a good OEM.

Is it a big deal to buy a newer OEM used stator and simply splice the old 94 plug that I have?

Yea that is why I wouldnt get an RM stator. They look just like RS. I would consider running a Rick's Motorsport Electric's stator. They have a green expoxy covering over the coils to helpe insulate them. Kind of like how the OEM Yamaha ones have the grey coating.

josh

I went through 3 rm200w jobbies before I got a good one from them. I had a 260w "electrix" stator that was awesome, but after 3 years of using a shitty stator cover gasket it shit out on me too. going on 3 yrs with the 3rd RM200w...still good so far. (fingers crossed while knocking on wood 3 times)

FYI,

I figured I'd try one last idea before making my order for an OEM used unit, and it worked.

Turns out there was enough corrosion or rust between the stator mounting plate and the stator, that I just wasn't getting a good ground. I took the stator apart and cleaned/sanded all the rust down and put it back together and it worked!

Freebee..:)

After that I spent some extra time sealing up my not so air tight stator cover.

Anyhow, if you see a stator problem again, it could just need some cleanup work between the stator plate and the stator. That's all it was for me... Now I can spend a few bucks on upgrades instead of replacing parts..that's good!!