Need help stuck flywheel

Paul M

Im sure there is already a post about this somewhere but I cant find it !

Anyways I am working on a friends bike and i get to the flywheel and its stuck ! whith the puller screwed all the way in and down tight it just wants to pull the threads in the flywheel ! Before i booger them up anymore does anyone have a trick for getting a stuck flywheel off ? I am afraid i might have to tack weld the puller to the flywheel , and i am sure that will probably ruin the flywheel ! anybody got any ideas? .................thanks

I think you might be doing it wrong. Put a set of locking pliers on the big part after you screw it in (backwards threaded if I remember correctly) and then screw the smaller one into that. Then when your holding the locking pliers zip the small one in with an impact wrench. It will force the flywheel to pop off. Hope this helps.

I think you might be doing it wrong. Put a set of locking pliers on the big part after you screw it in (backwards threaded if I remember correctly) and then screw the smaller one into that. Then when your holding the locking pliers zip the small one in with an impact wrench. It will force the flywheel to pop off. Hope this helps.

Thanks bro But i have done a hundred of these things! when i hit the impact it just pulls the puller out of the flywheel I think the threads are wasted

Hope you dont come upon the same mess I did the Dumbasses that I got my bike from used lock tight on my flywheel & it STUCK to the crank my buddy had to weld a bolt on to the flywheel & then use a air gun and screw a bolt up in it to get it to come of the crank to get my stator & timing plate off

Edited by Natemills8

Put as much pressure on the puller as you can without stripping the threads. Then smack the small bolt (center of the puller) with a 3lb hammer. Some times the impact or shock will brake them loose.

mine was a pain to get off, but i went and got a good puller from auto one and put it on there "the bigone with 3 claws" and put a impact on it, i had to loosesn and re tighten a few times but finally it popped, when it did it sounded like a fire cracker. if you had a puller likethe one i have, you wouldn't be bottoming the threads out .

if popping it with the 3 pound hammer doesnt work i would suggest tacking the puller to the center hub of the flywheel with a couple tig welds then tightening it up a bit and then popping it with a big hammer. after it's off carefully grind off the welds and remove the puller.

if your trying to salvage the flywheel dont use a 3 jaw puller, if your just trying to remove it to replace it with a new one a 3 jaw puller will work but it will usualy mangle the flywheel...

Thanks guys the Flywheel is wasted the threads are gone so I guess i will try a three jaw puller and if that dont work I will weld the puller to the flywheel ! man just a little dab of never sieze and this would have never happened !

Dude! Don't be so sure. I had a stubborn one last year. Finally said fuck the flywheel and put a 3 jaw puller on it and it didn't do shit. Taken the motor all apart down the the crank with flywheel attached and put the flywheel in a 20 to press. Still no luck. Had the cut the flywheel off with a die grinder / chop saw, hammer and small punch for the rivets. The woodruff key had rocked forward and gouged the inside of the keyway on the flywheel and it wasn't coming off without spreading the collar.

Hope this isn't your case couse that was a bitch.

Good Luck!

SP