Octane Booster

But the type of test the fuel goes through is different. It might be 100 octane but it isn't rated or tested the same way regular gasoline or race fuel is. You can buy 98 octane in foreign countries but it isn't high octane by our fuel standards.

Av gas is designed to be burnt at a high altitude and in an engine that runs at a lower rpm. It is not a performance fuel for cars. You could probably mix a gallon of kerosene or diesel in with 4 gallons of gasoline and it would keep your motor from melting down. Doesn't mean it is right though.

I mostly agree with you on the avgas...but...

how would diesel stop it from melting down? if anything it would lower the octane of the gasoline and smoke like shit. some stuff probably wouldnt even run at all.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was more of a non serious joke. I don't know what affect it would actually have. Just figured adding a less flamable liquid would help keep detonation at bay. Kind of like adding toluine to regular gas. Ethire way race fuel is the way to go.

ah i see.

diesel itsnt flammable at all. really. it takes heat to make it burn. it is essentially an oil (fuel oil) and most oil has little to no octane resulting in detonation.

and for the naysayers his obviously doesnt apply to 2stroke oil.

ah i see.

diesel itsnt flammable at all. really. it takes heat to make it burn. it is essentially an oil (fuel oil) and most oil has little to no octane resulting in detonation.

Poopelx, are you Coupelx's brother or something?

ah i see.

i would have to not really agree with you there. diesel is actually really flammable when you look at it in even relativity. if you bring both fuels up to the same close distance before their flash point, basically needing to heat the diesel, the diesel has the potential for greater energy. it's just that it needs a little more provocation to get going. and, to answer your question, putting some diesel in your gas tank on an older car that has a "knock" or deto, will stop the deto, and technically, would actually be raising the octane rating, without actually raising the octane. what we are actually seeing rated is the detonation resistance, not actual octane content. otherwise, 100oct. would be the highest you can go, and would be 100% octane, where really, all these fuels are a medley of differnt things. volotility is a whole different story.

i would have to not really agree with you there. diesel is actually really flammable when you look at it in even relativity. if you bring both fuels up to the same close distance before their flash point, basically needing to heat the diesel, the diesel has the potential for greater energy. it's just that it needs a little more provocation to get going. and, to answer your question, putting some diesel in your gas tank on an older car that has a "knock" or deto, will stop the deto, and technically, would actually be raising the octane rating, without actually raising the octane. what we are actually seeing rated is the detonation resistance, not actual octane content. otherwise, 100oct. would be the highest you can go, and would be 100% octane, where really, all these fuels are a medley of differnt things. volotility is a whole different story.

Disagree with me all you want with your theories and whatever. the DOT PHMSA says you are wrong and so does real world experience. i know what happens when you dump a couple hundred gallons of diesel into a tank full of gasoline at a fuel station. Its not pretty.

Anyways I am done giving away any useful information. you know it alls can keep spreading bad information. kind of like "theres no octane booster that works". yep just keep believing that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

no no and no.

av gas is typically 100octane low lead.

diesel doesnt have an "octane"

jetfuel is kinda like fancy kerosene

no, jet fuel( j.p. 5 j.p.8 ) is refined diesel that is all.

u can run diesel in a jet in pinch situation just so u know, its just AS clean as jp 5 or 8

no, jet fuel( j.p. 5 j.p.8 ) is refined diesel that is all.

u can run diesel in a jet in pinch situation just so u know, its just AS clean as jp 5 or 8

Exactly...we use jp-8 for our blackhawks yet we can also use that fuel for the tractor to pull the bird or the gators as fuel..

Your all missing the point. He's asking about putting Octane booster in the tank.......everybody knows it only works right if you put it in your boost bottle. I notice a big difference when my boost bottle runs out of boost juice. Powerband falls off right away. :shootself: