New top end need help

qcklys

Hey i've just rebuild my top end with 66mm wiseco piston, put a new pro design cool head with 21 cc dome , i also have fmf fatty pipe and powercore silencer, no lid air filter , my jet are 310 right now its about 25-30 degree celsius out there at sea level, i also got 27.5 pilot jet but they were a bit longer than the stock one i remove from the bike , first of all there were no fire so after replacing coil ,stator and weld all the wire back to new its making fire now . Today i was ready to start it but it won't start, it does want to start but nothing happen and there is gaz on the spark plug after I kick a couple time so i dont know what to look for, it sound like he want to start but dies after a second , im pretty sure its a carb adjustement but any idea where should i start looking for? like i said earlier the pilot jet was a bit longer so do you think it could be that? btw i got these pilot jet from yamah dealer. else than that idk, i put the airscrew 1.5 turn like someone told me here on the forum and the needle clip is in the middle! w/e please help me if u got an idea! its driving me crazy now it'll be the end of summer and it will still not start lol!

Hey i've just rebuild my top end with 66mm wiseco piston, put a new pro design cool head with 21 cc dome , i also have fmf fatty pipe and powercore silencer, no lid air filter , my jet are 310 right now its about 25-30 degree celsius out there at sea level, i also got 27.5 pilot jet but they were a bit longer than the stock one i remove from the bike , first of all there were no fire so after replacing coil ,stator and weld all the wire back to new its making fire now . Today i was ready to start it but it won't start, it does want to start but nothing happen and there is gaz on the spark plug after I kick a couple time so i dont know what to look for, it sound like he want to start but dies after a second , im pretty sure its a carb adjustement but any idea where should i start looking for? like i said earlier the pilot jet was a bit longer so do you think it could be that? btw i got these pilot jet from yamah dealer. else than that idk, i put the airscrew 1.5 turn like someone told me here on the forum and the needle clip is in the middle! w/e please help me if u got an idea! its driving me crazy now it'll be the end of summer and it will still not start lol!

Did you leak test the engine after the top end? What's the compression?

SP

i didnt make any leak test i dont have anything to do that but compression is at 155

You can get everything at a local hardware store for around $10. Much cheaper then another rebuild.

What is the pickup gap? Sometimes to large of a gap will produce a weak spark. It should be set at 0.015"-0.018". If it isn't that I would lean towards jetting. Unless there is an airleak.

The thing is, depending on what warranted the top end to begin with, not doing a leak down test is just a bad idea. The crankcase could be the cause of a lean condition which caused the need of the top end (not saying this is the case cause I don't know why you rebuilt it). $200-$300 plus one more over bore isn't worth it to me.

SP

You're compression is right on the money.If you got spark,compression and fuel than it's just a simple problem.I would pull the air box lid and filter off and spray a couple shots of starting fluid to the carbs (thottle open) and give it a few good kicks. I'm kinda confused on the longer pilot deal though.I've never heard of that. Either way,if it starts on starting fluid at least you will know it is a fuel issue.

You're compression is right on the money.If you got spark,compression and fuel than it's just a simple problem.I would pull the air box lid and filter off and spray a couple shots of starting fluid to the carbs (thottle open) and give it a few good kicks. I'm kinda confused on the longer pilot deal though.I've never heard of that. Either way,if it starts on starting fluid at least you will know it is a fuel issue.

yea i tried with one shot of starting fluid but im a little bit scared to damage anything more than helping hehe, the bike wanted to start before the starting fluid so idk, but i should definitely get something to do a leak test, i rebuild it because the piston were melt but i think it was due to a bad carb sync because they were completely out of sync when i got the bike and only one side had compression issue the other one was good. i had the bike this way. and i adjust the pick up gap with a business card and the spark is a nice blue, a little bit weak when im kicking it but im just guessing the bike need to run at higher rpm and it would be perfect. thank you all for your help---- Oh and i guess ill remove the pilot jet and the one i remove from the bike to take a picture so i can show you guys

Edited by qcklys

yea i tried with one shot of starting fluid but im a little bit scared to damage anything more than helping hehe, the bike wanted to start before the starting fluid so idk, but i should definitely get something to do a leak test, i rebuild it because the piston were melt but i think it was due to a bad carb sync because they were completely out of sync when i got the bike and only one side had compression issue the other one was good. i had the bike this way. and i adjust the pick up gap with a business card and the spark is a nice blue, a little bit weak when im kicking it but im just guessing the bike need to run at higher rpm and it would be perfect. thank you all for your help---- Oh and i guess ill remove the pilot jet and the one i remove from the bike to take a picture so i can show you guys

I wouldn't think that the carbs out of sync would do damage. Unless one was getting very little to no fuel at idle and it idled for a long period. As long as the slide is up it is getting lubrication. It just would be putting out the power it should. If one piston failed and the other didn't I would really look for an air leak on that side. I would have done a leak test before the tear down and a lot o guys on here would say the same thing. Knowing the "why" can save a lot of headache down the road!

SP

When I was looking for new pilots for my stock carbs, the Dealership only had the longer ones you are speaking of, I had to go to a different powersports center all to gether.

I'm thinking you need to get the shorter Banshee / RZ mikuni pilots.

Mike

cool ill look for this then, you tried the one from the dealership?? -------I will also get the thing i need to make myself a leak tester and i will give you news on that

Edited by qcklys

are you sure the choke hose that goes from one carb to the other is on? if it is on, have you tried to crank it while giving it throttle? maybe half throttle/? if you tried both of these and neither worked, make sure your tors box is disconected under the tank if the tors are still plugged in it won't matter as long as the box is disconected.

try these 3 things and get back to me.

are you sure the choke hose that goes from one carb to the other is on? if it is on, have you tried to crank it while giving it throttle? maybe half throttle/? if you tried both of these and neither worked, make sure your tors box is disconected under the tank if the tors are still plugged in it won't matter as long as the box is disconected.

try these 3 things and get back to me.

the hose for the choke is connected, i have tried with 1/4 throttle half throttle, and i dont have tors box on the bike ty

• 1 month later...

Did you remove the carb bowls? If so, are you sure you installed each bowl to the correct carb as they are unique?

I had this problem once and it about drove me mad.

when you had this problem,.... what happened when you tried to start it ?

or can u tell me which bowl goes where?

Edited by stan gonzales