i think my engine is seized?

hello, just got her honed and new rings put in, it was my first rebuild, and she was running excellent for a week, then lastnight, i took her out and didnt have her warmed up good enough and ran her 6th gear pinned for a minute or so, when i can to almost a complete stop the engine made a weird sound and shut off...she wont kick over the kick starter is solid.....im an idiot, anyways what kinda damage could be done? i guess ill scrap her and get her bored out and try it again....

hello, just got her honed and new rings put in, it was my first rebuild, and she was running excellent for a week, then lastnight, i took her out and didnt have her warmed up good enough and ran her 6th gear pinned for a minute or so, when i can to almost a complete stop the engine made a weird sound and shut off...she wont kick over the kick starter is solid.....im an idiot, anyways what kinda damage could be done? i guess ill scrap her and get her bored out and try it again....

Well, that definitely sucks. The piston probably heated up and expanded faster then the sleeve. I'm sure you know what that means.

So, the piston is likely stuck inside the sleeve. If your really lucky once it cooled off you maybe able to rotate the crank again. If this is the case you may get away with a good honing and new pistons. This is if your lucky. If not, then bore it out again and new pistons. Did you check your piston clearance and ring end gap clearance during reassembly? Did you pressure test after reassembly?

SP

i just top end comp tested her and ran her...actually i had her put together for only 4 days when this happend...she was going mint!!!

i still cant kick her over any, so i guess shes nice and seized...

You'll be able to tell more once you open it up. But it sounds like the pistons just heated up to quickly and swelled beyond the size of the bore and got stuck. Since the pistons are softer then the sleeves it is possible that there isn't much damage to the sleeves. You wont know until you pull it apart. May have a hard time getting the pistons out though.

I would always pressure test the crank and combustion chamber to insure there are no air leaks because a lean condition dur to an air leak will do the same thing. I always measure the clearances as well. Just good to make sure everything is right. When I am done putting an engine together I want to ride it, not wrench on it! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Good luck!

SP

so id like to order a top end tomorrow, what bore should i order, mine is std now....or will i have to measure the cylinder bore and go from there?

Measure the bore and go from there. Once the pistons come in, whoever is doing the machine work should measure the pistons and bore accordingly.

SP