transmission problem

well this is my first post, so im new to the forum. my friend bought a banshee 2 weeks ago and the trany is acting up now.

we went out for a ride and we went to do a little drag race and he couldnt take the bike out of 6th gear.

so we tore it apart and found the shift shaft bolt that bolts to the cases and to the shift shaft spring had broke. se we fixed that and then tried to shift the bike but it always gets hung up at 3rd - 2nd gear. it just jams. it jams hard enought that i couldnt force it with a pry bar!! i never pressed hard but hard enough to know that it wasnt working right. so i tried over and over the same procedure and about 30 % of the time it would work and the rest of the time it would get stuck at 3rd - 2nd gear shift.

also when it broke oil poored out of the cases, from somewhere around the shift shaft, cant tell if it was from the final drive or from the shift shaft. all i know is that it lost most of the oil.

has anybody had this problem before? should i put it back together and see if it will work or break, or should i tear the tranny out of it?

thanks.

well this is my first post, so im new to the forum. my friend bought a banshee 2 weeks ago and the trany is acting up now.

we went out for a ride and we went to do a little drag race and he couldnt take the bike out of 6th gear.

so we tore it apart and found the shift shaft bolt that bolts to the cases and to the shift shaft spring had broke. se we fixed that and then tried to shift the bike but it always gets hung up at 3rd - 2nd gear. it just jams. it jams hard enought that i couldnt force it with a pry bar!! i never pressed hard but hard enough to know that it wasnt working right. so i tried over and over the same procedure and about 30 % of the time it would work and the rest of the time it would get stuck at 3rd - 2nd gear shift.

also when it broke oil poored out of the cases, from somewhere around the shift shaft, cant tell if it was from the final drive or from the shift shaft. all i know is that it lost most of the oil.

has anybody had this problem before? should i put it back together and see if it will work or break, or should i tear the tranny out of it?

thanks.

For sure, I wouldn't put it together until it shifted on the counter up and down through all the gears with NO trouble. Unless you like tearing it apart! Lol. No, for real, it should shift up and down through all gears with just the tranny in the lower case half. Then install the top (I do this with no sealant) and tighten the bolts down and run through the gears several more times. If I like everything, I open it back up and seal everything and continue assembly. Just my thoughts.

SP

ok. i guess i should have been more specific. i only tore apart the clutch assembly on the clutch side of the engine. so the engine is still in the bike. i havent touched the tranny yet, and i dont really want to either. when i said i pryed on the shift drum i ment i did it manually, with a wrench, i didnt pull hard enough on it to do damage just enough to know that it is not working proper. i have rebuilt many engines but havent messed with the tranny's all that much.

so basically my question is..... what could have broke or bent that is causing it to jam in between 3rd and 2? i would hate to split the cases just to find nothing. the banshee uses a slighly different shift assembly than on my Z400 or my bros yfz450 and i dont have the repair manual for the banshee which is making all this that more frustrating.

ok. i guess i should have been more specific. i only tore apart the clutch assembly on the clutch side of the engine. so the engine is still in the bike. i havent touched the tranny yet, and i dont really want to either. when i said i pryed on the shift drum i ment i did it manually, with a wrench, i didnt pull hard enough on it to do damage just enough to know that it is not working proper. i have rebuilt many engines but havent messed with the tranny's all that much.

so basically my question is..... what could have broke or bent that is causing it to jam in between 3rd and 2? i would hate to split the cases just to find nothing. the banshee uses a slighly different shift assembly than on my Z400 or my bros yfz450 and i dont have the repair manual for the banshee which is making all this that more frustrating.

If you can't find anything in a bind behind the clutch assembly then I would think you are going to have to split the cases and have a look. I know it isn't much fun but it isn't that bad either. 2-4 hours worth of work depending on how handy you are.

SP

i wish i had a manual on this bike so i knew exactly what i am looking at.

can u leave the piston, head, cylinder, crank, and bearing in the one half of the case and just work on the tranny?

Yes, I believe so. Some one will correct me if I am wrong I am sure. You would have to leave the crank and pistons in the upper half cause the pistons wont come through the upper case half. There is a manual pinned at the top of this forum.

SP