banshee vs 250r vs 450s vs 400ex

Well last year i was looking for a 2nd bike to play on the trails with and mess around on. i bought a 400ex and rode that in the tight stuff. handled great in the woods and loved to low end for wheelies and whipping around....but it was slow as ass. felt like i was missing 3 gears up top...thats what you get for riding a shee....sold it at the end of last year

Anyway, weathers nice again and getting into riding again and i took the banshee out...dam its fast but im stuck in the same situation...screaming through the trails, its a little too much in the trails / mess around bike...

I am looking to spend under 2k on another quad. want something that handles good and able to beat up on. i was thinking:

250r...see some around 1500-1800 that run, need some cosmetic stuff. always wanted one, never rode one though. how are they? do they really handle THAT grreat or is it alot of hype?

banshee...grab a cheap shee, throw a 2 into 1 carb kit, some low end pipes, basic stuff....only thing thats cool is i have a bunch of stock parts if i ever break something

yfz450/trx450...see some older ones for around 2kish. heard the hondas have crappy crank bearings.....rode my buddies 05 yfz and loved it, but its tough to find a nice condition one for 2k, usually they are beat to shit

last another 400ex...reliable, cheap, see some for as cheap as 1300 with basic mods,

so theres where im at...what do you guys think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well last year i was looking for a 2nd bike to play on the trails with and mess around on. i bought a 400ex and rode that in the tight stuff. handled great in the woods and loved to low end for wheelies and whipping around....but it was slow as ass. felt like i was missing 3 gears up top...thats what you get for riding a shee....sold it at the end of last year

Anyway, weathers nice again and getting into riding again and i took the banshee out...dam its fast but im stuck in the same situation...screaming through the trails, its a little too much in the trails / mess around bike...

I am looking to spend under 2k on another quad. want something that handles good and able to beat up on. i was thinking:

250r...see some around 1500-1800 that run, need some cosmetic stuff. always wanted one, never rode one though. how are they? do they really handle THAT grreat or is it alot of hype?

banshee...grab a cheap shee, throw a 2 into 1 carb kit, some low end pipes, basic stuff....only thing thats cool is i have a bunch of stock parts if i ever break something

yfz450/trx450...see some older ones for around 2kish. heard the hondas have crappy crank bearings.....rode my buddies 05 yfz and loved it, but its tough to find a nice condition one for 2k, usually they are beat to shit

last another 400ex...reliable, cheap, see some for as cheap as 1300 with basic mods,

so theres where im at...what do you guys think?

YFZ 450 all day if you can find one in your price range. If not a 400 ex with a 440 kit runs pretty well.

SP

Edited by spurdy

yeah a 450 for 2k is going to be beat to hell. Ive ridden a couple 250r's and they are nice quads but for trails and dicking around i would get a 4-stroke. I know you can get craptors for $2000, just dont get the 2001's i heared the trans are junk.

i have a raptor 660 as my second quad and its a great quad for screwing around on. its got more torque than you could need. it wheelies on demand and rides nice/slides easily. fun bike to beat on. if you think of getting one of these stay away from 01's unless they have an upgrade tranny from 02 on because second gear blows in the 01's alot.

if i was looking for the bikes that you mentioned, i would aim for a yfz450 or a 400ex, or kfx 400. i have never ridden a 250r i heard alot of hype about them but for screwing around 4 strokes imo are better

ok i think im going for a ltz400.....i like the reverse feature for trails..

anyway i found a local one for 1400, guy says he is the original owner but lost the title, says it has sat for about 2 years and the carb needs to be cleaned. he says it runs with the choke on and it would be tip top with a carb cleaning, new gas, and a new plug.

is this worth it? he was originally asking 2200, 1400 is his lowest.

I have a banshee and a z400 the z is great in the trails and handles better than the banshee ,and don't beat u up as much.On a track i could probably do faster times on z cause of handling,but straight aways forget about it banshee eats the z up like nothing.

I would go for the z if i was u its way better then a 400ex.

Edited by jbones

250R hands down. The 450's are badass but for $2000 you will get junk.

I have a 250R that I bought for my wife to ride and unless I am duning or drag racing, I prefer to ride the 250r. Still one of the best handling quads ever built and it won't cost you $1000 or more when it blows like a 4 stroke. And a 250R is the only 2-stroke I have ever ridden that you can lug in the lower R's hit the gas and take right off. One of the greatest all round machines built!