Replacing Crank Seals

I was wondering if it is possible to replace a crank seal without splitting the cases, just pull the side cover, take the two gears off the crank, pull the seal and drive the new one in. I don't see why it is necessary to split the cases, but I have never had the low end apart on one of these bikes. To get the seal out I would just put a screw into the seal enough to bite and then use a slide hammer to pull it out. Do you guys think that this would work? Thanks

Bobby

I have had to do it in a race situation before. Will need to cut the bead off the outside of the seal so it will go in. Use some yamahabond around the OD to help glue it in place a bit. Done it several times and never had an issue.

B

I have had to do it in a race situation before. Will need to cut the bead off the outside of the seal so it will go in. Use some yamahabond around the OD to help glue it in place a bit. Done it several times and never had an issue.

B

Same here done it and it was fine, just like he says cut the rib off and a lil yamabond. And then put it in right the next time you split the cases.

if its not a race situation, i would do it right and split the cases. why take the chance of not getting it in there properly if you dont have to? chances are if your crank seals are bad, there might be some other seals that need replacing..

seems like kind of a half ass way of doing it without splitting the cases.

if its not a race situation, i would do it right and split the cases. why take the chance of not getting it in there properly if you dont have to? chances are if your crank seals are bad, there might be some other seals that need replacing..

The rib down the center of the seal is not a design necessity, but rather an opportunity by design to ensure fitment. Most engines have been using press in type seals for decades without problems. I have never had an issue doing it this way but I will admit that since that seal rides in oil, unless there is obvious damage to the seal, you have have other issues like radial play in the crank bearings.

Just a thought...

B

I agree with Loco. Seems like a half ass way to fix the problem. If your trying to save time and gaskets try just dropping the bottom half only its a real time saver.

The rib down the center of the seal is not a design necessity, but rather an opportunity by design to ensure fitment. Most engines have been using press in type seals for decades without problems. I have never had an issue doing it this way but I will admit that since that seal rides in oil, unless there is obvious damage to the seal, you have have other issues like radial play in the crank bearings.

Just a thought...

B

Given the opportunity to do it properly, I would split the cases and replace the seal.

On the other hand, if I was being lazy and was working on an engine that I didn't care if I lossed, then I might try pushing it in there. I definitely feel that this should only be tried by someone who knows what they are doing.....

There is alot of things that could potentially go wrong there when customizing the PTO seal and bonding it in. It's one of those things, that could cause a not-so-apparent problem later.....

I like how intimidated people are of the bottom end. Hell the cases split top and bottom. All the transmission shafts just lay in the bottom case like a tray.

I agree. I think that alot of people out there have never had to do anything like that before, and it could be pretty itimidating if you weren't sure what you were getting yourself into.

......think about how many people pay to get their oil changed at a Walmart or a Jiffylube type of place. That example might not be about everyone not knowing how to do it, but I would bet that if everyone could do it, then not as many people would go there. :geek:

I have never opened the case, so it makes me nervous to think about it. But from what I have seen and read, it is easy. Just stay organized and plenty of work space.

Racing brings all new rules to the game. I have used some wierd shit on cars for a quick fix. LOL...Coke Can Freeze Plugs and Gaskets, Cigs or black pepper in the leaky rad, Zip tie bolts, ext.....

Thanks for the input, I'm not scared of pulling the motor apart, I was a a-tech GM mechanic before deciding to go back to school. My crank bearings felt a little rough when I did the top end so I know I will need a crank soon. But if i need the seal before then, i rather just slap it in to get me by then ripping it all down, then doing the seals, then ripping it down again to do the crank. I didnt know there was some sort of lip, but many automotive seals are just press in and have no problems, thats why i figured i could do it that way. Any pics of just a bottom half being removed? im curious to see what come out. Thanks

Bobby

Thanks for the input, I'm not scared of pulling the motor apart, I was a a-tech GM mechanic before deciding to go back to school. My crank bearings felt a little rough when I did the top end so I know I will need a crank soon. But if i need the seal before then, i rather just slap it in to get me by then ripping it all down, then doing the seals, then ripping it down again to do the crank. I didnt know there was some sort of lip, but many automotive seals are just press in and have no problems, thats why i figured i could do it that way. Any pics of just a bottom half being removed? im curious to see what come out. Thanks

Bobby

You are on the right track. :thumbsup:

If you grab a new PTO side seal, you will see the little rib, if you are an experienced tech, you will know what to do... Yes, the seal will be fine just pressing it in and you are right, most engines use a press in seal anyway. Yamaha simply added the rib because they could due to design, that is it. The only situation where I had one come out was a turbo bike so that does not count. It WILL work..

Brandon

You are on the right track. :thumbsup:

If you grab a new PTO side seal, you will see the little rib, if you are an experienced tech, you will know what to do... Yes, the seal will be fine just pressing it in and you are right, most engines use a press in seal anyway. Yamaha simply added the rib because they could due to design, that is it. The only situation where I had one come out was a turbo bike so that does not count. It WILL work..

Brandon

Thank you very much for your help, now if the bike needs it before the crank goes I can slap one in quickly until the winter time rip down and rebuild/