banshee mods..

i just picked up a 98 banshee. i want to make this thing pretty fast., fastest enough to bring to the drag strip, turn some goodnumbers, but also run in trails, so i'ts not going to be extended much, it's already got a +2 swingarm and a included stock chrome swingarm which i will probably install.

anyways, it needs new pistons/cylinders bored/honed....

i'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and add a stroker crank while it's apart, i won't be doing the work but i have a friend that will be doing the work for a good price. i don't want to spend more than 1,000 bucks it's already got t5 pipes, i was thinking about getting the 10mm stroker crank that is offered on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Yamaha-...sQ5fAccessories

i used to have ab anshee, i believe it had vito pistons, and a hot rods/crank/rods combo. i bought it the way it was, it was one hell of a beast.

basically i wanna know if this would go well with stock cylinders, "i may get ported" and which pistons should i get with this combo, or if i should even get this combo?

this is a serious thread and i'll update on progress.

This is what I would do. Wiseco piston kit off ebay about $185, bore about $100, a ricky stator timing plate $45, find a builder on here to port it $???, find a used set of carbs and reeds in the for sale section should be around $300, and a good set of tires. That bike would rip.

This is what I would do. Wiseco piston kit off ebay about $185, bore about $100, a ricky stator timing plate $45, find a builder on here to port it $???, find a used set of carbs and reeds in the for sale section should be around $300, and a good set of tires. That bike would rip.

X2 Fresh top end with good port work can't be beat for the price. :evil:

X2 Fresh top end with good port work can't be beat for the price. :evil:

thanks for replys i didn't think i was going to get any, i decided to do the work myself in my spare time, i dropped the heads off at machine shop today, it's going to cost 70 bucks to get them bored and honed, as far as piston kits, i found one on ebay for about 150 with shipping includes pistons, clips, and all necessary gaskets, i'm going to order it as soon as they tell me monday what size to order.

not getting it ported, the guy thats boring them said he won't port them. :( and 300 bucks for a used set of carbs, would i be better off buying a brand new 2 into 1 kit that included carb off ebay for 350 bucks or so?

take some time and peruse the for sale section here. see if you can find a 4 mill kit, and get a 4 mill dune port. stock carbs 50-60 bucks or some nice ones for about 200, if you keep your eyes open. with the 4 mill, you'll be past the hard part, and will really be able to bolt on power later :thumbsup:

take some time and peruse the for sale section here. see if you can find a 4 mill kit, and get a 4 mill dune port. stock carbs 50-60 bucks or some nice ones for about 200, if you keep your eyes open. with the 4 mill, you'll be past the hard part, and will really be able to bolt on power later :thumbsup:

only problem with that is i'm doing the work myself, the guy that was going to do it quoted me 400 labor for putting a crank in, i dunno if thats a job i wanna tackle... : /

only problem with that is i'm doing the work myself, the guy that was going to do it quoted me 400 labor for putting a crank in, i dunno if thats a job i wanna tackle... : /

Buy a Clymer manual for the Banshee, trust me you can do it.

It will save you lots of $$$$$ to learn how to do it yourself.

Plus if you get stumped there is alot of info and help on the HQ. :thumbsup:

There is a lot of power to be gained by doing a 4mill and port job. The stroker crank makes for a stronger midrange wich is nice for trail riding.

A port job is like putting in a performance camshaft in a 4 stroke. They opean the ports up wich control when air and fuel come in and the exhaust goes out.

If you port your cylinders for a stock stroke crank you won't be able to have them reportrd for a 4mill.

I would port and get the 4 mil if you can. I just got mine ported over the winter, and while I am happy, for the difference in price, I wish I got a 4mil while it was all apart. i would use one of the builders on here, rather than a local shop. It does not cost that much to ship, and you get someone that really knows Banshee's, as opposed to someone that is kind of a jack of all trades general mechanic.

I would port and get the 4 mil if you can. I just got mine ported over the winter, and while I am happy, for the difference in price, I wish I got a 4mil while it was all apart. i would use one of the builders on here, rather than a local shop. It does not cost that much to ship, and you get someone that really knows Banshee's, as opposed to someone that is kind of a jack of all trades general mechanic.

just bought some boysen reeds and cages from a member on here, with stock unported cylinders and t5 pipes and silencers, stock carbs, what would jetting be?

Edited by x_doug_x

a=hem.....filter setup, not brand. like pods, box lid, snorkel.

there is an elevation finder [pinned in the jetting section, and i'm sure you know the temp.

just ordered the pistons, when these come in and i install them do the ring openings go opposite of eachother or what?