How should i set it up for trail riding?

lmaloch

So when i get my banshee i should still have a few grand to spend on setting up the suspension and anything else i want to change on the quad. I mostly do fast trail riding we do have a few good drag race spots but this will mainly be a trail machine. I currently ride a blaster and am tired of getting the shit beat out of me even though i have done a good bit to help handling and ride quality.

With my budget in mind how would you set up the suspension (shocks arms other...)? I have a little time to think about this i only want to buy parts once.

+2 +1 a-arms. some good brands are wicked, burgard, lsr, ASR.

shock brand depends on your budget. but get minimum tripple rates with rezzies.

-2 swingarm

+4 axle

either new rear shock or get the stocker revalved and resprung for your weight by works or elka.

banshee shocks dont even have enough travel to really take advantage of triple rate springs. i wish i knew that before i spent the extra cash over double rates.. anyways.. good tires, full skid plates and a sack of tire plugs and a small bicycle pump are good things to have

I would say get a head, pipes, timing plate, leave swinger stock, a set of extended a arms..+2+1...Find a good used set of WORKS or different aftermarket front shocks...billet impeller and some skid plates and maybe a G Force extended axle......Play with that for awhile then get it ported..Or get it ported to..

Good stuff keep it coming. I'm not so worried about performance right away. I'm sure whatever i find will already have pipes on it and if not i will do that. I'm sure going from a blaster to even a stock banshee will be a HUGE improvement in power alone and will take some time to get used to.

What i don't want is to have a quad that kicks my ass after riding a few hours like my blaster does. We typically ride 5 to 6 hour days and everytime i'm beat after a few hours of getting kicked around while the guys i ride with (couple of z400's, honda 700xx, raptor 700) are good to go all day with their plush suspensions.

I'm already going against what everybody tells me by getting a banshee. Nobody in my area runs one and everybody thinks i should get a z400 or raptor 700. Don't want to hear the "i told you so's" if this thing ends up beating me up the same way my blaster does lol.

Good stuff keep it coming. I'm not so worried about performance right away. I'm sure whatever i find will already have pipes on it and if not i will do that. I'm sure going from a blaster to even a stock banshee will be a HUGE improvement in power alone and will take some time to get used to.

What i don't want is to have a quad that kicks my ass after riding a few hours like my blaster does. We typically ride 5 to 6 hour days and everytime i'm beat after a few hours of getting kicked around while the guys i ride with (couple of z400's, honda 700xx, raptor 700) are good to go all day with their plush suspensions.

I'm already going against what everybody tells me by getting a banshee. Nobody in my area runs one and everybody thinks i should get a z400 or raptor 700. Don't want to hear the "i told you so's" if this thing ends up beating me up the same way my blaster does lol.

Well the good thing about a banshee is it will run out of gas faster than you will get tired so you get to rest while you fill it up. :biggrin:

jk

Get some +2+1 a arms, some good aftermarket front shocks (works, elka, etc), I personally don't think the banshee rear shock is bad at all. Go with a g-force extended axle, and maybe even invest in a steering stabilizer for some added comfort over some ruff terrain.

I would also invest in a six pack rack to carry a fuel can or an ims fuel tank so you dont run out of go-go-juice while riding on those 6 hour rides :thumbsup:

Edited by swhitey917

I'm fairly new to banshees but the one i bought has a good setup for trails minus suspension which is stock. The biggest problem with trail riding banshees is the lack of bottom end power. So depending on what the one you buy has on it for pipes i would get a set of FMF Gnarly pipes, smaller sprockets, shorter rear tires. (Don't go too short or you wont have shit for clearance) Trinity 2 into one intake and carb setup. plus the suspension upgrades everybody else suggested. I have priced all the suspension parts used and you should be able to do that and also the mods for low end power. Especially if the one you buy has a good set of aftermarket pipes that you could sell on here or trade for some gnarlys. I went from a KFX 400 to my banshee and have been very pleased with its trail rideability. All my buddies told me i was stupid to get a banshee but have received nothing but compliments any time one of them rode mine so tell you buddies to F-off and laugh you ass off evertime you pass them like they are standing still. Good luck

I would stay away from a 2 into 1 carb.....My Banshee did have T-5's, K&N and advanced timing with stock carbs...I was very pleased with it..But after I blew it up I decided to go bigger...Got a port and working on getting soem bigger carbs.

I would stay away from a 2 into 1 carb.....My Banshee did have T-5's, K&N and advanced timing with stock carbs...I was very pleased with it..But after I blew it up I decided to go bigger...Got a port and working on getting soem bigger carbs.

Not implying that you are wrong because you have been around here and in the banshee world for a lot longer than i have, but why stay away from the 2 to 1? Like i said not implying that you are wrong because i really dont know but if it is something that i should sell and replace it would be good to know. Thanks

Not implying that you are wrong because you have been around here and in the banshee world for a lot longer than i have, but why stay away from the 2 to 1? Like i said not implying that you are wrong because i really dont know but if it is something that i should sell and replace it would be good to know. Thanks

Hell man I'm still a newb here myself..ha..So nothing taken by that. :biggrin:

Snop on here has some dyno charts somewhere...Dig them up and take a look at the numbers on them... Also while you can gain some low end with a 2 into 1 you will lose topend..It's restricting the engine with a 2 into 1...To each there own, I just personally would stick with 2 carbs....

I agree with mikenick on this one. i seen the charts. i trail ride and i also went from a blaster to a banshee. your gonna want a new rear end. shorter swingarm maybe -1. get the roundhouse swingarm with nice bearing carrier. +2 +1 front end. nice set of works or elkas up front. rebuild the rear shock. thats the next thing im doing to mine so i would recommend it for you.

Edited by TwistedSheeRida

I agree with mikenick on this one. i seen the charts. i trail ride and i also went from a blaster to a banshee. your gonna want a new rear end. shorter swingarm maybe -1. get the roundhouse swingarm with nice bearing carrier. +2 +1 front end. nice set of works or elkas up front. rebuild the rear shock. thats the next thing im doing to mine so i would recommend it for you.

Do you like the shorter swingarm on trails?? I couldn't imagine riding trails on mine with a shorter arm, especially with this new motor I'm building..I also ride a few places with some steep ass hills, so that also plays apart in deciding to go shorter..

the stock one is just too long cant get any traction especially with the junk tires i have on. the shorter swinger should definitly help out and im not to worried about the hills there is only like one real good pit around here where the sand hills are very steep but the sand is real so soft so i can just bail. lol :thumbsup: