connecting rod stretching?

big problem i think. i was replacing my top end putting it all back together when i noticed that my left cylinder my piston was at the top and wouldnt go back down the piston came just high enough for the top ring to pop out just enough to not let the piston go back down. so i thought to my self whats the problem is my crank bad. but my right cylinder is perfect so i thought maybe my connecting rod is worn out and stretched any ideas??

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big problem i think. i was replacing my top end putting it all back together when i noticed that my left cylinder my piston was at the top and wouldnt go back down the piston came just high enough for the top ring to pop out just enough to not let the piston go back down. so i thought to my self whats the problem is my crank bad. but my right cylinder is perfect so i thought maybe my connecting rod is worn out and stretched any ideas??

Pistons should never travel above deck unless you are running a stroker/stock cylinder motor. Even at that, it takes 5mm of over travel to pop the ring out of the hole. What is your engine setup. You rod is not stretched but if your piston comes out that much, you certainly have a problem.

LR crank with standard rod pistons (513s instead of the 795s)

B

check your rod/wristpin bearings. you didn't happen to havewhat looks like a spacer plate left over, did you? 2mm thick

x2 on the pistons, too

no there were no spacer plates and even if there were the right piston and cylinder is fine so that spacer wouldnt let my cool head sit on there right

no there were no spacer plates and even if there were the right piston and cylinder is fine so that spacer wouldnt let my cool head sit on there right

okay forget what i said in my last reply if i were to get the spacer would that not make the right cylinder

short

okay forget what i said in my last reply if i were to get the spacer would that not make the right cylinder

short

Can I suggest reading my last post?? You got one poking up and one sitting flush, you have different pistons. Rods ain't gunna grow 5mm on ya :confused: Been designing engine parts more than a few days now. Check piston series. One 513 and one 795 would do er.

B

Can I suggest reading my last post?? You got one poking up and one sitting flush, you have different pistons. Rods ain't gunna grow 5mm on ya :confused: Been designing engine parts more than a few days now. Check piston series. One 513 and one 795 would do er.

B

Wow! That seems a stretch to have too different pistons installed but a even farther stretch that the rod grew 5mm! Really can't think of anything else it could be though. You would think if it was a bad bearing around the wrist pin it wouldn't come up TO deck height. Wrist pin location would be a good thing to check.

SP

good news boys i found the problem when i was putting it back together i was in a hurry and didnt remove the old gasket from the right side so today i went and played with it and found that and then both pistons came above deck so i need a spacer correct?

good news boys i found the problem when i was putting it back together i was in a hurry and didnt remove the old gasket from the right side so today i went and played with it and found that and then both pistons came above deck so i need a spacer correct?

Maybe you should enlighten us as to what exactly you are building :confused: Is this a 4mm stroker. ? Should you be doing this work alone? Not wanting to be an ass here but more or less wondering if any homework was done before the crank was installed if the thought of spacer plates, head mods, deck heights was not a precursor to the project...

B

Maybe you should enlighten us as to what exactly you are building :confused: Is this a 4mm stroker. ? Should you be doing this work alone? Not wanting to be an ass here but more or less wondering if any homework was done before the crank was installed if the thought of spacer plates, head mods, deck heights was not a precursor to the project...

B

no sir not a stroker. i know motors but that bottom end i hate so if i was gonna make it a stroker i would send it to someone i just re built it with some newer stonger parts for the juice. i have built over the past year one of the fastest banshees in sw kansas Pistons (Weisco),Has Vito Hemi Head,with 17cc cut domes,has 34MM Keihend flatside carbs V-Force 2 Reeds,Has power jets,2 new Boss air filters,Adjustable timing plate made to run NITROUS

so what do you guys think the 2mm or 4mm spacer if i do the 4mm would it hurt anything???

If you don't have a 4 mil crank then something else is fucked up. You need to figure out what isn't right or else you will likely have issues and most probably expensive ones. If you really do have one of the "fastest" banshees in SW or SE (don't remember) KS, then you should know that these things spin very quickly and if shit aint on the money, well, I'm sure you know the ending. Figure out what isn't kosher and go from there.

SP

If you don't have a 4 mil crank then something else is fucked up. You need to figure out what isn't right or else you will likely have issues and most probably expensive ones. If you really do have one of the "fastest" banshees in SW or SE (don't remember) KS, then you should know that these things spin very quickly and if shit aint on the money, well, I'm sure you know the ending. Figure out what isn't kosher and go from there.

SP

i found the problem it is that the new pistons the pin holes are lower on the piston then on the old one so insted of the piston head just coming to the top it just comes over the deck just barely

SP

I 2nd and 3rd that ^^^. Somethin's wack. Go take the head off your really fast bike and see what it does.