Should I replace Tranny bearings?

I just bought a 93 banshee, and I've been looking over it seeing what needs to be replaced. I see that the back left tire/rim moves a lil (when you grab it from the top and bottom and wiggle back and forth). Might need to be tightened or I think its the wheel bearings, not sure? I want to get some input on "insurance". I need to replace the crank, top-end, and head. so far. My main question is while I have it open since I don't know how it was taken care of, should I replace the (I think) four bearings on the tranny clusters? Do they usually go bad? Do they spin super fast to where I might need to replace them? Should I do it now?

Also, If anyone wants to input on any other things that might need replacing, please feel free.

I'm aware of certain mods, but as for now I'm thinking about things that are a little more important such as preventive maintenance. I'm sure I'm getting a high-flow water impeller.

Thank for the help!

Mike

I see that the back left tire/rim moves a lil (when you grab it from the top and bottom and wiggle back and forth). Might need to be tightened or I think its the wheel bearings, not sure?

Mike

Rear wheels don't have bearings. Just a hub on the axle. Tranny bearings don't go out often. Even when ran out of fluid the gears break teeth before the bearings go. However, anything mechanical has its limits!

SP

if it was me and i dodn't know the history of the bike....I'd go ahead and change the bearings for the extra insurance that they aren't going to go on you after you get it running... It may not need the new bearing but since you're in there....go ahead and replace them..when I tear mine aprart I'm going to replace all the bearings and seals just so i don't have to worry about them going out on me.

What kind of damage has been done to this engine to need all of those things replaced?

The guy I bought it from said the crank bearing went out. the piston came up and hit the head.

When i got the bike the motor was already taken apart. It looked like they split the case without removing the flywheel, etc. (the tranny gear clusters where still attached to the clutch and the drive sprocket. also the flywheel, stator and adj timing plate where all still attached to the crank. the bearing stopper plate was broke in two pieces. The flywheel threads are shot, my flywheel puller wouldn't even thread in. Two of the adj timing plate mounts where broke.) this guy sold it to me for $1000 and agreed to help me rebuild my banshee and my friends banshee (same prob needs new crank and top end. our cylinders are at the shop.) when I get the parts for no xtra cost. After seeing what he did to it I am having doubts about having him help us with the two rebuilds. I'm new to learning the ins and outs of the Banshee, I've learned alot so far but I think I know more than him. what do you guys think?

Rear wheels don't have bearings. Just a hub on the axle.

if that's the case do you think it just needs to be tightened a little more? if not what do you think my problem is? I had my wheel bearing assembly go out on a 1998 Chevy blazer so that's why i thought it could be a wheel bearing in this case with my Shee.

Thanks

Mike

tranny bearings seem to be fairly tuff, and rarely replaced.. but i did recently have to replace the tranny bearings in my cub bike.. the main shaft bearing behind the clutch basket got very lose on mine.. i would go ahead and replace them if it worries you.. its good to have some peice of mind..