IDEA!

So i was thinking how alot of drag guys run there shee's on alcohol, but has anyone thought of running it on nitro, drag cars use alcohol to dilute the nitro down so its not as potent so i would think nitro can produce more power, of coursee you'd have to run like 230 psi on your comp. but does anyone think it would be worth it or know if its been tried?

Theres a couple guys here with VERY HIGH hp sleds 700-750HP with nitro harley drag motors on nos and supercharged, that run nitro. They fuckin rip hardcore. The owner Chad Rebec from CR racing outa Kelowna BC built them and they build some of the nastiest Mountain sleds around.

The sled is named "Rated R" detuned 750hp. I seen it at the "Big Iron Shoot Out" last year held here every year in town up on boulder mountain and i tell yeah its fuckin sick as hell.

Few vids and pics of it around but i will let you search.

400-500hp+ mountain sleds are very common around here.

Never seen nitro used in any quad though.

But i do run it in my Savage.30, T-Maxx.25 and Raptor.60 though :thumbsup:

Yeah I've seen a few of them on Mountain Mod Mania they are pretty insane. Around here I think we have a few 400-500HP sleds, I would think we would have more but I think most of the riding here is free style, half the guys on like Slednecks and some of the other vids are from here, I know a few of them so I think the average here is like 180.

Hey Brandon how are things going for you? I never see you on here until I ask questions then you always answer haha, kind of cool i thought.

Anyways, Idk I thought maybe like a 10mil. stroker in a power valve cheetah, I think its like a 535cc? with billet cases and crank, fully built with drag port on some nitro... It would be one mean drag bike, just something I was thinking about. Maybe someone on here will try it, I'd love too, but im still working on the trail shee then its time to put some good money into buildiong up a truck project. I dont think its much harder to tune than alky though

Edited by 278

Nirto + 2strokes = BOOM!

I tried. 1 cap full nitro in 2 gallons......got 3 runs. like a raped ape might i add. nitro is VERY hard on bearings. my buddy runs a A-fuel car so we tested it out. For the ammount of money that would be involved there are better options that will create more power,

Theres a couple guys here with VERY HIGH hp sleds 700-750HP with nitro harley drag motors on nos and supercharged, that run nitro. They fuckin rip hardcore. The owner Chad Rebec from CR racing outa Kelowna BC built them and they build some of the nastiest Mountain sleds around.

The sled is named "Rated R" detuned 750hp. I seen it at the "Big Iron Shoot Out" last year held here every year in town up on boulder mountain and i tell yeah its fuckin sick as hell.

Few vids and pics of it around but i will let you search.

400-500hp+ mountain sleds are very common around here.

Never seen nitro used in any quad though.

But i do run it in my Savage.30, T-Maxx.25 and Raptor.60 though :thumbsup:

i run the nitromethane in my t-maxx's as well......aren't they fun? i ported mine too. :biggrin:

i think the 750hp monster sled you're talking about, has a 4-cylinder kawasaki bike engine on it.

Edited by mopar1rules

i run the nitromethane in my t-maxx's as well......aren't they fun? i ported mine too. :biggrin:

I run it in my HPI Savage 4.6 as well. They are both 2 stroke engines. It would work if you know what your doing.

3+ HP out of a .28 cubic inch or 4.6cc engine. Imagine what kind of HP you would get out of a 535.

Yeah I got an R/C car too, its a Duratrax nitro evader that I've done a few mods to, but dont R/C cars like that run at like 30,000 RPM's or some shit like that? IDK i think it might be fun to play with but you would need to probably run more oil, and run big ass jets, maybe some of that R/C gas would work pretty good because it usually only like 20% nitro and its got lubricants mixed in, if you bought some of that at like 35% nitro it would give you more power than alcohol, but still be pretty safe on the motor

Yeah I got an R/C car too, its a Duratrax nitro evader that I've done a few mods to, but dont R/C cars like that run at like 30,000 RPM's or some shit like that? IDK i think it might be fun to play with but you would need to probably run more oil, and run big ass jets, maybe some of that R/C gas would work pretty good because it usually only like 20% nitro and its got lubricants mixed in, if you bought some of that at like 35% nitro it would give you more power than alcohol, but still be pretty safe on the motor

yeah, they run anywhere from 28,000-42,000rpm. that's just insane. the nitro content of the fuel can be anywhere from 10%-40%, and vary on the lubrication from 10%-20%. nitro r/c cars are so cool like banshees.

So i was thinking how alot of drag guys run there shee's on alcohol, but has anyone thought of running it on nitro, drag cars use alcohol to dilute the nitro down so its not as potent so i would think nitro can produce more power, of coursee you'd have to run like 230 psi on your comp. but does anyone think it would be worth it or know if its been tried?

The largest problem with Nitro is it takes more than guessing to make it work right. 230psi (ie around 16:1 CR) would most certainly blow your motor sky high. The octane, stoic ratio, flash point, burn rate, latent heat of vaporization, etc must all be taken into acct and that is generally why engines blow up when "trying" it. You must adjust.

Nitro creates only 5000btu/gal when compared to gasolines ar around 18,000btu/gal. However, the stoic ratio of gasoline is 14.7:1 for best efficiency and 12.5:1 for best power. Nitro creates best power at 1.3:1!! This is because of all the oxygen in Nitro so it brings it's own oxidizer to the party and needs little air to fully burn. This does not mean you want to restrict the air, this means you have to flow "serious" amounts of fuel to keep from leaning out. Anyone know what the gpm of a Nitro funny car fuel pump is??

Nitro can certainly be run in a two stroke but you should really adjust for it. Another problem with Nitro is the latent of vaporization. By pumping that much fuel in an engine, you are nearly removing all the heat from the engine through LHOV which is basically energy absorbed to turn the liquid fuel into a gas. Nitro cars rarely need external cooling because the fuel is doing it. This can play havoc trying to keep the cylinders lit since the air coming in is ice cold.

There is plenty more I am leaving out but all in all, you should really understand the fuel before you dump it in your tank. Tricky fuel to work with.

Brandon

Edited by blowit

The largest problem with Nitro is it takes more than guessing to make it work right. 230psi (ie around 16:1 CR) would most certainly blow your motor sky high. The octane, stoic ratio, flash point, burn rate, latent heat of vaporization, etc must all be taken into acct and that is generally why engines blow up when "trying" it. You must adjust.

Nitro creates only 5000btu/gal when compared to gasolines ar around 18,000btu/gal. However, the stoic ratio of gasoline is 14.7:1 for best efficiency and 12.5:1 for best power. Nitro creates best power at 1.3:1!! This is because of all the oxygen in Nitro so it brings it's own oxidizer to the party and needs little air to fully burn. This does not mean you want to restrict the air, this means you have to flow "serious" amounts of fuel to keep from leaning out. Anyone know what the gpm of a Nitro funny car fuel pump is??

Nitro can certainly be run in a two stroke but you should really adjust for it. Another problem with Nitro is the latent of vaporization. By pumping that much fuel in an engine, you are nearly removing all the heat from the engine through LHOV which is basically energy absorbed to turn the liquid fuel into a gas. Nitro cars rarely need external cooling because the fuel is doing it. This can play havoc trying to keep the cylinders lit since the air coming in is ice cold.

There is plenty more I am leaving out but all in all, you should really understand the fuel before you dump it in your tank. Tricky fuel to work with.

Brandon

That all makes sense, I wasnt planning on just trying it all of the sudden i was just thinking it might work better than alky as long as you can adjust for it and you know what your doing