should have bought a 450

considering it has been rebuilt new top end. give me a little credit would't be asking if I didn't have a clue on how to work on machines. looking for help not smart ass coments. compression good. I will check boots today. thanks to those who gave real answers

Well, you kind of asked for all the smart ass comments when your insert a title stating "should have bought a 450"! What did you expect? Lol!

You need air, fuel, and fire to start.

If your not starting then you a re missing one of these items. Make sure your getting fuel. If it ran good before then I would say your jetting is close. Check the pick up gap. Check the stator winding for the ignition. Check the coil .Although coils can test good and fail once under load, I just keep and spare and swap out if in question and I've never had to replace one. Swapping plug wires isn't going tell you anything unless your checking visual spark against each other. Could be bad reeds also. If the fuel charge isn't "trapped in the circuit it will just flow back and forth from the carb to the crankcase without being drawn into the cylinder.

One thing I do if I can't figure out what is wrong quickly is make a list of what it could be and start eliminating things on that list.

Good luck!

SP

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would check to see if your wiring is grounding out. Mine did that when one of my wires rested up against a pipe and melted off the insalation and grounded out on the pipe. It would bounce around so sometimes it was grounded out and sometimes not. so sometimes spark and sometimes not.

did you check your muffler bearings? when was the last time you changed your powerbands?

funny story behind this right here.lol we met a guy with a warrior and he said it wasnt running right and he thaught it was the reeds????lmao my buddy said well it could be your muffler bearings heard there a common problem and the guy said o ya ive heard of that. roflmao. it was funny as shit.

intermitent spark you said you got a new/rebuilt stator. I would ohm test that first if its not in spec take it back. If its a ricky stator your almost guarnteed thats the problem. But you may want to check all of your ground connections make sure they are good. any corrosion, powder coating, paint etc on your grounds could do it. Then after that you could also test your kill switches make sure they are not going bad.

A good way to check electrical components is to barrow a buddy's and try it. That's what i do since i dont have an special testers like my Clymer calls for. It might be as simple as a bad ground or broken wire. Check your gap on the pickup(i think it's called that) by the flywheel. Should be around .018-.024 i think. Correct me if im wrong.

But before that do the usual, compression test, clean carbs, sync etc. That way you kinda rule out a fuel problem. Yeah it's tedious but gotta get her done.

Last year i had my bike fire all of sync but it was due to a cracked flywheel. But that's easy to spot.

Edited by RagunCajun

I would check your woodruf key in your flywheel. I know that might sound crazy, but I have a 03 shee that all of a sudden would barley start and if it did start it would not stay running. After checking everything mentioned above and rebuilding the top end to realize that i fixed nothing. I decided to check the flywheel and stator again. I put a flywheel puller on and I had to use a giant 1/2" drive ratchet to get the flywheel loose. Reason being I was using a 4 degree advancement key that broke off and allowed the flywheel to move just enough to cause this. This problem kicked my ass for about 1 year. And I spent about $1000.00 before I figured out it was a $10.00 problem.I don't know how many people have had this same problem but its worth checking out. As for all the guys with the smart ass answers its nice to know that you guys never needed help and never asked any stupid questions. As far as I'm concerned the only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked. And if your tired of answering so called stupid questions maybe you should go the pros only forum where people don't ask stupid questions. I thought that is what Banshee HQ is all about helping each other when in need. And if you didn't want to answer the stupid questions why do you even take the time to bust someones balls. Just skip that post and move on to another one. I am fairly new to the HQ and I don't want to piss anybody off but some people just need to chill a little bit. We all need or have needed a little advice or help once in our life.

I would check your woodruf key in your flywheel. I know that might sound crazy, but I have a 03 shee that all of a sudden would barley start and if it did start it would not stay running. After checking everything mentioned above and rebuilding the top end to realize that i fixed nothing. I decided to check the flywheel and stator again. I put a flywheel puller on and I had to use a giant 1/2" drive ratchet to get the flywheel loose. Reason being I was using a 4 degree advancement key that broke off and allowed the flywheel to move just enough to cause this. This problem kicked my ass for about 1 year. And I spent about $1000.00 before I figured out it was a $10.00 problem.I don't know how many people have had this same problem but its worth checking out. As for all the guys with the smart ass answers its nice to know that you guys never needed help and never asked any stupid questions. As far as I'm concerned the only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked. And if your tired of answering so called stupid questions maybe you should go the pros only forum where people don't ask stupid questions. I thought that is what Banshee HQ is all about helping each other when in need. And if you didn't want to answer the stupid questions why do you even take the time to bust someones balls. Just skip that post and move on to another one. I am fairly new to the HQ and I don't want to piss anybody off but some people just need to chill a little bit. We all need or have needed a little advice or help once in our life.

thanks for the back up :thumbsup: Changed woodruff when changed flywheel and stator will look into though. Thanks guy will keep you posted

thats a lot of shit to swap out lol. I would start by checking the coil after it shuts off. weird my buddies 99 use to do this last year sometimes. he never figured it out and it hasn't done it yet this year.

Cute but obviously didnt mean to swap all at once.

I had similiar problem not to long ago and also was my coil.

Im glad you got it fixed.

was the coil fires up 3 kicks thanks for the info

Its nice to here that you got it running. Now I hope that take the idea of a buying a thumper and throw it out with the old coil. Remember if you aint got a Banshee you aint got shit!!!!!!

I rode a yfz450 in Waynoka a couple weeks ago. I wanted to die, it was the roughest riding atv I have ever been on.