Big Bore Sleeves

Thinking of getting big bore sleeves. 68 mm.FRom LA sleeve I think that would make 409 cc's on stock crank. If I stroke it 4 mil will that be 421? Is there any issues with putting the big bore sleeves in stock cyl? Can I port it for a 4 mil?

Edited by robert0762

from what i've heard the big bore sleeves in stock cylinders will run warmer but whether or not its much to worry about im not sure. do some research and ask around on some pricing. i think when you figure up all the time and machine labor, plus the cost of the kit itself you will be farther ahead to go with a cub, especially if you're looking for power which every banshee owner is! lol

Thinking of getting big bore sleeves. 68 mm.FRom LA sleeve I think that would make 409 cc's on stock crank. If I stroke it 4 mil will that be 421? Is there any issues with putting the big bore sleeves in stock cyl? Can I port it for a 4 mil?

for the money i would just buy some after market cylinders.......by the time you resleeve and port for a 4mil youill have a bigger bill and probably not be as fast as an unported cub....imo

for the money i would just buy some after market cylinders.......by the time you resleeve and port for a 4mil youill have a bigger bill and probably not be as fast as an unported cub....imo

Yea your right. I had a pair of cylinders resleeved. I ended up at 500 bucks for the sleeves and labor to install them and have the porting rematched. If I had to pay for a port job then it would have been in the price range of a cub. But the cub's power delivery isnt for every one ethire.

The only real way to make resleeving stock cylinders worth it is to get a pair that have already been ported for dirt cheap, under 100 bucks that are junk. Or if your cylinders are on there last bore and are ported. The resleeve job is around the same price range as buying a new "used" pair and paying for another port job. So if your happy with the port job then why not resleeve them.

Another thing you need to watch out for is dont get the huge sleeves. Mine started out at 66mm and last bore was 68mm. If you get the huge 72mm sleeves then you could possibly start choaking the transfers. My 66mm's didnt choak the transfers. there was still aluminum in them after the resleeve job.

If you buy a set of cylinders already sleeved...then live with it.

But before I paid the time and money for a set installed, I'd buy an aftermarket cylinder.

The problem with big bore sleeves is it chokes down the transfer area even smaller. A lot of the power is made in the transfer area....

I can get a pair of cylinders with the big bore sleeves so I am trying to figure out if its worth it . They still need port work though plus the sleeves are a little off center but can be fixed. I want to set my bike up for trails so I was steering away from the cubs. How r the cub cyl set up when you buy them ? Do they already have port timing leaning more to dunes and drag (port durations) or just more flow wich would give you better power no matter what you set them up for??????????

The cub is a drag motor right out of the box and it wouldnt be very fun trail riding with. If you can get a pair of cylinders already sleeved for a great price then they are not bad. There isnt really anything wrong with running the bb sleeves. They are just expensive to have the sleeves installed. That is why most guys shy away from them.

Some of the bigger big bore sleeves can choak the transfer ports. I had a pair of 66mm to 68mm big bore sleeves and the transfer port was the same as with the stock sleeves. There was still aluminum left in the ports.

josh