Home made Bead breaker

Try Harbor Freight. Have several sizes. $45 plus shipping if needed. One I got is little different from ones in pics but if handy with welded could make one based on pic.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13700.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, last Saturday, I have a leaking bead due to a flip over and getting sand in the bead. I'm sitting there in my trailer trying to figure out what I could use for the drive up the board trick that I have heard people doing. hhhmmmmm... What could I use for a ramp? Ramp... hhhmmm... ramp door on the trailer? I look at the edge of the ramp. 1/8" steel flat bar. That should be strong enough, right? So, I lay a towel on the asphalt, lay the wheel down on the towel with the ramp edge just about touching the rim, 1 or 2 pounds of air in the tire. I tell my girl, "c'mon, lets jump on the ramp". She looks at me like I've got a screw loose. Together we flex our legs, shifting our weight up and down, and WOOOOSH! it popped the bead loose. We stepped off the ramp and looked at the tire in disbelief. It worked!!!!! Wiped the sand out of the bead, smeared some hand soap on the bead, used my co2 tank to reseat the tire, bolt it back on and ride. Now I'm REALLY glad I bought a ramp door trailer.

The first set of haulers i got were on 10 inch rims, i bent the foot bad on the harbor freight tire changer i ended up getting, both beads were impossible even with loads up soap. I did end up getting them both off. Then today i had a leak in one of my skat trak edge paddles, i throw it up there on the tire changer and within 5 mins both beads were broken and the tire was off.. I have a feeling different tires and rims may influence how easy/hard they are to break. The door would probably work awesome on the 8 inch rims, but you coulda driven a car into the 10 inch haulers. Anyways ramble off. :cheers: