lockout won't unlock

I am not a small guy and I think that I ride or used to race in similar circumstances. I use a shift pro kit and a modified star with mostly aftermarket drive/clutch components.............. I just don't have the same type of problems. In any case, if you make sure you break torque to shift like you do with any type of transmission, then I still believe there is something else wrong here. :geek:

Sounds like part defects or minor differences in the product quality seem to make or breake the lockout systems, perhaps you shuld not change the baskit and try it. if there is no torq load and its still a B@#$% to shift then there is a problem and its hanging up somewhere and not releasing. wich it shuld. and as far as a lockout frying your clutches somethings really wrong threre! ur clutches shuldnt even be being used hardly.

probably a stupid question/ suggestion and i'll probably get bashed for it but...

have you tried removing the screws from the fingers on the lockout to see if it gets better?

i'd think if you removed the weight's and it doesnt shift any easier then it could be something other than the lockout causing your problem but as i said, it's just a suggestion and it doesnt cost anything to try....

ya that mite be a good idea..... i wonder if the lockout on my yfz is the same ? i could switch them and see if it is just some bad machining on the lockout.. one arm to long or something like that... oh another qustion ? how far up the window is your tranny oil ? it seems quite a ways on the banshee... on my yfz you can't even see the oil... i wonder if to much oil would try to hold the plates together ?

When i put the 4mil crank in i looked the tranny and shift forks over and they all looked really good.. no wear on the forks.. and no rounding off on the engagement dogs on the gears..

oh and when you try to shift under a load you can feel it click with your foot like it shifted, but when you let the clutch out you are still in the same gear... and when you first ride it when it is still kind of cold it works better then after a few runs.. ( shifting is done before we hit the hill )

here is a pic of the kid coming up the hill we race on ( choke cherry ) and my 501 yfz

Picture031-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

That is one killer looking YFZ.

But no, the lockups are not interchangeable...:)

Thanks...... and thanks for all your help... i am going to try a couple more things.. then if i need a duneable over ride i will keep you in mind... pm me a price on one... after this winter builds on mine and the banshee the wife is about out of letting me spend more money on these... had to buy her a 2,000 dollar stove the other day to get her off my back about how much money i spend on theses toys..

Thanks...... and thanks for all your help... i am going to try a couple more things.. then if i need a duneable over ride i will keep you in mind... pm me a price on one... after this winter builds on mine and the banshee the wife is about out of letting me spend more money on these... had to buy her a 2,000 dollar stove the other day to get her off my back about how much money i spend on theses toys..

Damn that pic of choke cherry is making me fiend to go hit the sand up there again... lol But I'll be coming up there for memorial weekend to check out those bikes of yours. And Dave (dajogejr) has the best prices on overrides I've seen.

how far up the window is your tranny oil ? it seems quite a ways on the banshee... on my yfz you can't even see the oil... i wonder if to much oil would try to hold the plates together ?

Does the engine oil lube the transmission, clutch on the yfz? If so then you shouldnt see any oil in the window. The excess engine oil is pumped and stored in the oil tank.

ya on my yfz i know you won't see any, and yes the motor and tranny are the same....... what i was wondering is on the Banshee, how far up the lockout window is the oil sappose to be ?... seems like alot to me. i filled it tell the dipstick was right, but seeems like the clutch is a 1/3 covered when it is shut off ( well maybe not a 1/3 but close ).. i will snap a pic tonight after work

Damn that pic of choke cherry is making me fiend to go hit the sand up there again... lol But I'll be coming up there for memorial weekend to check out those bikes of yours. And Dave (dajogejr) has the best prices on overrides I've seen.

ya i can't wait for memorial weekend... should be a bunch of nice quads out... be nice to meet you guys to

Sounds like part defects or minor differences in the product quality seem to make or breake the lockout systems, perhaps you shuld not change the baskit and try it. if there is no torq load and its still a B@#$% to shift then there is a problem and its hanging up somewhere and not releasing. wich it shuld. and as far as a lockout frying your clutches somethings really wrong threre! ur clutches shuldnt even be being used hardly.

I had explained that I started frying clutches after the override, before the lockout.

Here is my experience, I have a 4mil cub on gas cleaned up by jeff. shearers 39s blablabla. So you know right where im at HP wise. I put RZ shift forks, modded star, shift pro and a modded shift shaft in it. It shifts really nice for a banshee, but still shift like a banshee. I get off the honda 450r and the banshee just feels like shit. So im in the middle of tearing it down to put in an override. As far as clutch reliablitiy, i cant comment too much as I only had about 40 gallons of gas through motor when i pulled it down, but everything looks brand new in there. I was not running an a lockup but did run all 6 HD springs. It was the FZR/barnnet (fast) clutch. I would think this combo should hold up for you im about 225 pounds and certainly dont ride my bike easy. You might just try getting a better clutch for now and removing the lockup untill you can tear down and do the override

• 2 weeks later...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go figure. my lock up clutch work for all of 15 minutes, now i have no responses in my clutch cable. the cable is pulling but there is no resistance. i tryed removing the clutch pressure plate and it appears to be frozen on. uh oh what now!???