To Extend or not to extend?

Dajl

Hey fella's, I'm doing a big ol rebuild to this ratched up 01 i have sittin here, and i was thinking about extending the swingarm, problem is i don't really know how long to go for my kind of ridin. I ride aggressive trail and some MX. Anyone have a good idea of what kind of length would suit me?

I'm putting on some +2/+1 a-arms and thinking about a +2 axle.. some opinions would be great guys. much appriciated

Stock length or -2 or -1 roundhouse swing arm for MX and tight trails.

Yes widen the front and back too.

Then get some shocks valved for your weight and riding style.

Thank you. that right there is why i love this forum :D

Damn fuckin rights!

Post pics when your done getting all the shit bolted on.

:beer:

Thank you. that right there is why i love this forum :D

You probably did, but just to make sure you caugt his recommendation, since the devil is in the details. You asked about EXTENDING the swingarm, savage's recommendation was to go stock length or SHORTER by 1-2 inches. Shorter is what most all the trail/MX guys seem to go with, to get better hook. Again, you probably caught that, but just wanted to clarify since the GOOD advice was actually opposite of what you were originally talking about doing.

i am sure plenty will disagree with me.. but my trail bike has a +2 swinger, 2+2 axle and i just ordered +2+1 arms.. i like the +2 for my weight and its better for hill climbing(which i do a lot of).. traction is still great for me.. i haven't noticed and difference in trail riding.. anyhting more than a +2 would be a waist for this type of riding IMO

I strictly ride aggressive trails myself. I have a +6 on my mine. BUT, my trails are pretty straight, no tight turns, no jumps, lots of steep hills, and now I'm hoping to be cranking out around 120hp. He's riding trails and MX, and I assume he has the normal bolt-on stuff. With the tight turns, high jumps, and whoops on an MX track, he's gonna need a shorter swingarm.

i am sure plenty will disagree with me.. but my trail bike has a +2 swinger, 2+2 axle and i just ordered +2+1 arms.. i like the +2 for my weight and its better for hill climbing(which i do a lot of).. traction is still great for me.. i haven't noticed and difference in trail riding.. anyhting more than a +2 would be a waist for this type of riding IMO

i agree with ya.. i got +2+1 arms +2 swinger and a +2 axle and all i do is trails

i agree with ya.. i got +2+1 arms +2 swinger and a +2 axle and all i do is trails

If you guys are running anything technical, at all, cornering and jumping alot even taking hills try atleast a stock swingarm and you will sell your +2 guarenteed. Night and day diffrence.

If you guys are running anything technical, at all, cornering and jumping alot even taking hills try atleast a stock swingarm and you will sell your +2 guarenteed. Night and day diffrence.

i agree. stock length, pshhh -2 right here! and loving it! once you have a -2 then you know what hooking up is! :biggrin:

naa.. i started with a stock length, went to the +2 and love it.. i tried a +4 and it felt a mile long and flat out sucked.. i can throw my bike around very easy with the +2 on it.. it is all about the type of riding.. in this case i will agree, the -1 or -2 swinger would be better for mx and such.. i also drag race the bike some..

Yeah, i acknowledged the emphasized (-) in the reply, i'm glad i received so many replies. Some shortening some extending.. im just going to re-powdercoat the stock swinger and deal with it. If i need change i think ill shorten it. thanks for saving my ass guys :D