Fuel delivery

Hi Guys, my name is not really Minister of Death. I am glad to be here.

I have come into a banshee and I am trying to freshen it up. I am at sea level (Upstate, New York). It has a ported and polished intake, and I am running smaller domes in the head for lower compression, it is bored .40 over running forged pistons. The bike came with 34mm Keihin carbs, but the throttle cable is frayed and all screwed up. Its running stock reeds which haven't been replaced probably since new. The choke on the one carb is hosed, and they probably need a rebuild.

I want to start from scratch with getting fuel into the engine. I want to replace the carbs with the same ones that are on there now. Anyone have any experience tunning these? Any procedure out of the box to follow to get the rich lean and idle dialed in with one another. I also want vforce reeds in the bike. The bike has FMF Fatty pipes on it, which I am not really experienced with. I am also considering going to a twist throttle. Last, I was wondering what peoples opions of the dual petcock out of the gas tank is, it seem logical?

I run the bike in about a 6 mile stretch thats more or less flat dirt roads. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Minister of Death

Hi Guys, my name is not really Minister of Death. I am glad to be here.

I have come into a banshee and I am trying to freshen it up. I am at sea level (Upstate, New York). It has a ported and polished intake, and I am running smaller domes in the head for lower compression, it is bored .40 over running forged pistons. The bike came with 34mm Keihin carbs, but the throttle cable is frayed and all screwed up. Its running stock reeds which haven't been replaced probably since new. The choke on the one carb is hosed, and they probably need a rebuild.

I want to start from scratch with getting fuel into the engine. I want to replace the carbs with the same ones that are on there now. Anyone have any experience tunning these? Any procedure out of the box to follow to get the rich lean and idle dialed in with one another. I also want vforce reeds in the bike. The bike has FMF Fatty pipes on it, which I am not really experienced with. I am also considering going to a twist throttle. Last, I was wondering what peoples opions of the dual petcock out of the gas tank is, it seem logical?

I run the bike in about a 6 mile stretch thats more or less flat dirt roads. Thanks for your help.

IMO dont wast your money on a dual pingle if your just running gas. we will need some more infor to help you get tuned properly. elivation (sea level), Pipes (fmf fatties), type of porting, compression, timing, filters(airbox,K&N pods). All these play a role when it comes to tuning.

As for the carbs. if they seel to be in operating order just get a rebuild kit. if you want to replace them keep an eye on the for sale section. there are usually some good deals in there.

if you are just running around, DON'T get a twist (suicide throttle). I run one, but i only drag race. 99% of the guys on here will tell you that they are a accident waiting to happen. if you have problems with thumb pump just get an extended throttle lever.

I agree with upgrading to 35PWKs.

The PJs can run in the right hands, but they are more finicky to tune and to be quite honest, just old school in design.

You're gonna find pro/cons on the rest. Me personally....I won't ride a twist on a quad.

I've owned dirt bikes for a long time, you sit on them different, use your legs to grip the bike.....etc.

They're fine with a twist, I don't like them on a quad.

Since you run a long wide open road, get a pingle (dual fuel valve) gut the gas cap and drill the vent tube out for more fuel delivery.

To be honest, just buy some good replacement reeds for your stock cages, I wouldn't waste money on the VForce just yet....

THanks guys. Again, I'm at sea level. The engine was build by JD Racing (I'm trying to find their website). Also, I have FMF Gnarly New Banshee Pipes and Silencers on the bike. I will switch to PWK's, and stick with the thumb throttle. I wish I had more stat's on the engine to help with, but I do know its bored .40 over, and I am running smaller domes in the head. Right now, it runs like crap, really rich, and despite my best efforts I can't get the carbs to synch.

Also, and I hope this isn't a dumb question. What ratio fuel do you guys run?

There is a PWK 33. I would go that route. Small engough that you can run them on a ported stock stroke engine, and they are big enough to feed a ported 4 mill stroker.

Call jeff at fast. He had the best price on the carbs when I bought mine through him. www.farmandsandtoys.com is his web site. He is a member on here too.

josh

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I've since ordered a bunch of stuff from Jeff at Farm and Sand toy. I am going up to New York on Memorial Day to bolt it all up, and I want to make sure i'm close enough to being good to go so I can actually spend my weekend whipping around, as opposed to constant tuning. I'm assuming I'll be doing some though.

I now have in my posession:

33mm PWK - 52 pilot, CGL Needle, 165 Main jet (Should I mess with this? Change needle position, etc..?)

V Force Three reed set up

Again, I'm running FMF Gnarly New Banshee Pipes and Silencers on the bike. It's bored .40 over. It is ported. I am running a vito's hemi head with 17mm domes.

I'm at sea level in Upstate New York, so probably average 75 degree's when i'm riding. I'm 155 pounds. I also plan to drain the oil in the case. Flush the cooling system. Replace the plugs.

Anything I should think about based on the above?