4 mil question

im thinking about doing a 4 mil to my shee and i was just wondering on who is the best choice to do my motor work at a good price.

can i just send the motor out to match the porting, cut the domes, and bore. and just buy the crank and pistons myself and assemble the motor myself? idk wat to do.

help me out guys.

i personaly recommend twister crankshaft for engine work 503-663-7711 e-mail: mrtwister@twistercrankshaft.com

you can have a shop do everything without pistons and crank but most shops would rather have those parts on hand when they do the machining. the crank not so much but it's nice to have the pistons on hand when boring and porting to make sure everything matches up.....

Edited by swrbansheeboy

i'm working on getting my 4 mil build back together. i sent my cylinders out to Kevin at Herr Jugs Racing to be bored & ported. you definitely want to let whoever does you cylinder work have the pistons on hand to match everything. i got the custom cut domes and crank from him also. you couldn't ask for a cooler guy to deal with for all that stuff either. professional but friendly and patient with any questions or anything that you have. i'm doing all the other work myself though.

idk wat to do.

If you dont know what to do, we cant help you. You need to figure out if you want to save money and build your engine yourself or pay somebody to.

I am in the process of doing my 4mil build. I just finished my bottom end today and sealed the cases. It's not hard at all. You can use a clymer manual and it says how to step by step with pictures.

I dont care for others doing my work no matter how good they are. I like the idea of noone every working on my bike but me. Plus im cheap!

Edited by RagunCajun

If you dont know what to do, we cant help you. You need to figure out if you want to save money and build your engine yourself or pay somebody to.

I am in the process of doing my 4mil build. I just finished my bottom end today and sealed the cases. It's not hard at all. You can use a clymer manual and it says how to step by step with pictures.

I dont care for others doing my work no matter how good they are. I like the idea of noone every working on my bike but me. Plus im cheap!

so u can just send the cylinders and the heads out with the pistons and then assemble the whole thing once its all done?

i wana doit myself so i know wats beingdone and so i dont have to pay for labor.

wat crank and pistons should i get?

i'm relatively new to the 4 mil set up myself. but from what i've seen & read a 4 mil long rod stroker crank with custom cut stroker domes is the way to go. and have your porting done at the same time as the crank installation so your engine guy can do the porting to match your stroke. it seems the most popular is the hot rods crank & wiseco pistons. that's what i put in mine. i sent my cylinders to Herr Jugs Racing to be bored (they were scored) and get ported. talk to your porting work guy about what mods you want to do and what you expect out of the build and he can hook you up accordingly. then you can put it all together yourself if you want.

by the way, i purchased my crank and pistons from HJR when he did my port work. that way he knew exactly what the build would be and could work his magic. :thumbsup:

Edited by MILO

Yea you can just send the parts out.

The big one is to have your cylinders ported for the 4 mill. For the cylinder head you really need to run a cool head. That way you can just install it with stroker domes, and not have to have your stock head rechambered.

If you want to have the bottom end splitt appart while your cylinders are out getting ported, send the top case half with the cylinders. That way who ever ports the cylinders can port the top case half's transfer areas to match the cylinders transfer areas. It isnt a must do but it does help out.

josh

If you want to have the bottom end splitt appart while your cylinders are out getting ported, send the top case half with the cylinders. That way who ever ports the cylinders can port the top case half's transfer areas to match the cylinders transfer areas. It isnt a must do but it does help out.

josh

X2 on the case porting. once your bottom end is back together thats not something that you are just gonna wanna pull out and take apart in a day to try and get more power out of it. spend the extra money and get it done right and you'll be alot farther ahead with your build and much more satisfied.

I recommend you buy a clymer manual, Nitrotate's how to dvd, and then get ahold of a builder on here to work with. We specialize in carrying EVERYTHING you will need to do the job! All you will need to send out is your cases and cylinders porting/boring. Hollar if i can help..

badasshee, you can't go wrong with a FAST build either bud :thumbsup:

Use Kevin Herr. Awesome customer service. he built a 4mil Aggressive dune port that hauls ass for me. I just got back from Sand Mountain first time out with this is motor.I have a stock swing arm witch was a bitch to whole shot with , but I was able to run most bikes down half way up the mountain.

Every one is going to tell you to use there builder. I would suggest calling them and talking with them see how they treat you. Get some prices. Dont go with the dude that lives in a van down buy the river because some one says he is the best.

thanks guys.