Lighting Wiring Cut, Need Help, Pics Inside

Hi,

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some technical help. I have a very good understanding of wiring and am more than capable of making electrical repairs. Iam however not too familiar with the banshee electrical system and more or less what is supposed to be where. I purchased this 2002 banshee a couple months ago and I am attempting to tackle the light wiring mess first. I purchased a replacement tail light, I began testing the wires under the grab bar. I have no A/C current and no D/C current , nothing from any of those wires. I did some research and found the wiring under the seat from the lighting coil to be cut. I metered the wiring there and I A/C current about 20v to 38v depending on rpm. My question is where to these wires (black and yellow) go. I see the voltage regulator under the grab bar, it is grounded but nothing is plugged into the blue lead. Here are some pics. Thanks in advance - Bob

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5489.jpg

Any all black wire on the bike is a ground. Yellow/Red is the hot wire to your light switch. The 2 blue wires in the bottom pic, connect together. That's the voltage regulator. You're going to have to use this diagram to figure out the rest. It's kind of hard to see what's going on in those pics.

banshee_wiring_diagram.jpg

your first picture, that yellow and black wire "feed" the lights.

they should plug somewheres into the main harness. judging

by the yellow (looks like it was cut for some reason)

you will have to hard wire it into the main harness.

you will also need to hook the voltage regulator back into

the main harness (the blue wires).

thanks for the responses. as im looking at the diagram. it looks as if the blue from the votage regulator goes to a yellow. would it make more sense for the blue wire from the regulator in my pic to go to the yellow wire. the diagram also states that one blue wire and one black wire are left for the tail light operation. if i plug the two blues together this leaves me with a yellow and black for the tail light (not the same as the diagram). does this seem right???

Hi,

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some technical help. I have a very good understanding of wiring and am more than capable of making electrical repairs. Iam however not too familiar with the banshee electrical system and more or less what is supposed to be where. I purchased this 2002 banshee a couple months ago and I am attempting to tackle the light wiring mess first. I purchased a replacement tail light, I began testing the wires under the grab bar. I have no A/C current and no D/C current , nothing from any of those wires. I did some research and found the wiring under the seat from the lighting coil to be cut. I metered the wiring there and I A/C current about 20v to 38v depending on rpm. My question is where to these wires (black and yellow) go. I see the voltage regulator under the grab bar, it is grounded but nothing is plugged into the blue lead. Here are some pics. Thanks in advance - Bob

It sounds like these guys may have you on a path, hopefully the right one. I am a little confused by the whole voltage/current thing.

Are you measuring voltage or current?

You wont have any current with the load unplugged.

The lights run off of AC voltage which is what you should be measuring and this voltage needs to run through the "voltage" regulator or it will fluctuate up and down with the RPMs of the motor thus damaging the resistive filament producing the light at high RPMs. The current (or load) will only be present when the bulb is connected and will be very small and likely need to be measured in a parallel circuit with your meter (depending on type of meter). A clamp on meter will not be good for this application because of the small load but shouldn't matter since measuring the voltage should be good enough to trouble shoot the circuit.

Don't wiring diagrams differ slightly throughout the years? I thought at one point the switches passed voltage through and in other years they passed voltage to ground such as the ignition signal? Not sure what other differences there were but I was sure my Clymer had a few wiring diagrams for different years.

SP

Edited by spurdy

ok i went out and pulled apart the rear plastics and to make a long story short, my tail light is working!!!!!! now i still have a left over yellow at the brake light on both the bike side and light side. these go together for what i am assuming is the brake light function. now where would the wiring for the brake light come from. hand brake? foot brake? i see two black wires with plastic covering over them coming from the hand brake (they are cut also). I reconnected them but have no brake light function still. any insight?

did you plug the voltage regulator in to a connector down the harness, close to the coolant bottle? blue and black are the tail, and if you have a brake light function, it plugs in at the front of the hand brake lever, directly below the resivior, and/or it will be at the foot brake, so check there. the 2 little wires (yellow/black & black) are the tors throttle switch, so leave them be. i believe allyears have the same type of regulator, so no confusion there

ok i went out and pulled apart the rear plastics and to make a long story short, my tail light is working!!!!!! now i still have a left over yellow at the brake light on both the bike side and light side. these go together for what i am assuming is the brake light function. now where would the wiring for the brake light come from. hand brake? foot brake? i see two black wires with plastic covering over them coming from the hand brake (they are cut also). I reconnected them but have no brake light function still. any insight?

Some years have tail light only. You may not have a braking light. If you do you should have a switch at your foot brake lever.

SP

I think it's 2004 and up have a brake light. Everything else is taillight only. That diagram is the only one for your bike. The yellow coming from the stator, is constant hot. It "Y"'s off. One way is also yellow, which goes to your light switch. That turns Yellow/Red at a weatherproof plug, behind the radiator. The other side of the "Y" is blue. The blue goes to the voltage regulator, which has to be hooked up, or your going to fry all of your lights. That grounds through the mounting bolt, so make sure it has a clean mounting surface. Coming out of the light switch is green, yellow, and blue. Green is to low beams, yellow is to high beams, and blue is to the taillight. Every light on the bike also has a black wire. That's the ground. It can be frame grounded, tied into another black wire, or the black wire going back into the stator.

If your bike does not have the colors that's on that diagram, then someone cut out some wires and replaced them with a different color. When I shortened my harness, deleted TORS wiring, and moved the CDI/regulator/coil, I made my own diagram. I used the same colors as stock, just so I didn't get them mixed up. If you decide to rewire everything, here's the diagram that I made.

banshee_wiring_diagram-1.jpg