break in

toolucky

I had to pull my cheetah cylinders off today because the plugs on the bottom needed resealing. They were leaking antifreeze. My question is do i have to go through the break-in process again?

Don't take this the wrong way cause I'm really not trying to be a dick. I always think it is best if you can lead someone down the path so that they can answer their own question.

So I start by asking you......What is the purpose of "break in" to begin with?

SP

Don't take this the wrong way cause I'm really not trying to be a dick. I always think it is best if you can lead someone down the path so that they can answer their own question.

So I start by asking you......What is the purpose of "break in" to begin with?

SP

Well im not trying to sound like a DICK but if i knew the answer to that Q i wouldnt have asked it

uhh. no. break in, is the process of the NEW rings seating (or developing a smotth wear pattern) against the freshly bored cylinder.. once an engine is brok in the rings and cylinder have worn to fit together with a tight seal and a smooth precise fit.. if you do not rebore your cylinders (or hone) and install new rings, there is no reason to do the break-in process.. you can take the motor apart a hundred times, and unless you are replacing pistons,rings, there is no need to do the break in process..

Well im not trying to sound like a DICK but if i knew the answer to that Q i wouldnt have asked it

Sorry, I thought that "break in" was self explanatory. Sheerider is correct. Break in is to "seat" the rings. Once this is done it doesn't have to be done again until something changes in the cylinder wall or the rings are replaced.

SP