Only one piston moving

Today when I started my shee, I noticed exhaust only came out from one side! The other side sometimes moves or moves really slow, what could be the problem? How can I fix. It just got rebuilt over winter from top to bottom new everything! Also its the left thats fine and the right thats having problems, the plugs are new, new oil, and right mix of gas.

Today when I started my shee, I noticed exhaust only came out from one side! The other side sometimes moves or moves really slow, what could be the problem? How can I fix. It just got rebuilt over winter from top to bottom new everything! Also its the left thats fine and the right thats having problems, the plugs are new, new oil, and right mix of gas.

What exactly do you mean "only one piston moving"? As well as "The other side sometimes moves or moves really slow, "???

If one piston doesn't move you have serious problems. If your just not getting exhaust out of both silencers equally then it is probably a sync issue.

But I think you need to explain yourself a little better to get an accurate diagnoses.

SP

What exactly do you mean "only one piston moving"? As well as "The other side sometimes moves or moves really slow, "???

If one piston doesn't move you have serious problems. If your just not getting exhaust out of both silencers equally then it is probably a sync issue.

But I think you need to explain yourself a little better to get an accurate diagnoses.

SP

Well when I start only exhaust comes from one side, but at times the right side will move for a second, hard to explain.

i loled at magz.

this could be a number of things.

are you sure your fuel lines arent kinked? check them both for good flow. sync your carbs, clean them (jets especially) make sure you are getting spark on that side, and make sure one doesnt just idle higher than the other by checking your idle screws.

As Loco said, it is pretty hard for one piston to be moving up and down and the other staying stationary (unless for some reason there is no connecting rod??). Just like others have said, check your compression and make sure your carb slides are opening together. Next thing would be to make sure that you have good spark. After that, make sure you have a good supply of fuel getting through the carbs, reeds and into the cylinder. Check your fuel lines, jets for clogs and make sure your reeds are functioning properly. If those all check out, check your exhaust for clogs!!! I know from experience on this...

My experience: Put my new motor together that I recently had ported, rebuild, head shaved, etc. Had new 33mm PWK's, new intake, new filters, new throttle cable, new plug wires and caps, the list goes on. Got everything back together and went to start it. After multiple kicks, the motor finally fired but only the left cylinder was running. No matter what I did, the right cylinder would only ping and tick every so often. I switched carbs, intake boots, reeds, filters, spark plug wires, everything. After the weekend was over from tearing it all back down and putting it back together. I said to a friend of mine "I wonder if there is something wrong with my pipes?" The next day I took my right side pipe off and look into it.....a fricken mouse nest!!!!! My pipes were laying around all winter while I was doing my rebuild. The little buggers made a nest in my Pro Circuits, once I put it all back together in the spring and went to run it. The exhaust pushed the nest into the very tip of the pipe(where the pipe meets the silencer tube). Talk about back pressure for that cylinder, wouldn't even fire! Cleaned my pipe out, low and behold the engine ran great!

The exhaust pushed the nest into the very tip of the pipe(where the pipe meets the silencer tube). Talk about back pressure for that cylinder, wouldn't even fire! Cleaned my pipe out, low and behold the engine ran great!

Who da thunk it? That is some pretty funny shit there! Good catch. Wonder how long I'da been fucking with carbs?

SP

Ive had this happen on three separate occasions. The first was because the right piston rings were melted into the piston and compression was way down (found all this out later that night). The second time was simply a fouled plug on the right side. The third was the carbs were not in sync, the idle screw lock nut had vibrated loose and the screw loosened off. Check for any obstructions in the exhaust, fuel delivery to the carbs, vacuum leaks, compression check, carb sync, etc. If you take the carbs off to clean them I would go a little further and take off the reeds and boots to peek in the cylinder to see piston/ring condition, same can be done on the exhaust side if you remove the pipes.