finally rode the overide tranny today

i have a dunable 1-5 n down tranny.. took it for a ride today.. WOW.. its a rocket now.. i was on the road and layed into it.. before i knew it i was already in 4th gear and it stood up on me.. i panic'd a little and let off of it.. i know i backloaded it because i felt the shifter push down.. hope i didn;t hurt it too bad.. it still shifts great.. any input?? im not going to ride it on blacktop any more really.. with just a +2 swinger on a cub, its dangerous on the road..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a dunable 1-5 n down tranny.. took it for a ride today.. WOW.. its a rocket now.. i was on the road and layed into it.. before i knew it i was already in 4th gear and it stood up on me.. i panic'd a little and let off of it.. i know i backloaded it because i felt the shifter push down.. hope i didn;t hurt it too bad.. it still shifts great.. any input?? im not going to ride it on blacktop any more really.. with just a +2 swinger on a cub, its dangerous on the road..

Sounds like a fun ride!

I bought my duneable several years ago before people started advising against backloading them at high R's and I have put this tranny through the torture test. When I bought mine, Greg at WCR told me to shift it however I want period. I did exactly that for the first two years in a duner. Still shifts as smooth as the first time I ran it.

That's good to know. I rode my first override this weekend and it was awesome. Just worried about backloading it cause it wasn't mine! I was really thinking about getting one until I heard all this about backloading it. I really use my motor and downshifting to slow me down while blipping the throttle to keep fuel in it.

Mine shifts as good as an override with the exception of shifting load. I can shift without the clutch but have to let off the throttle.

Still debating the purchase. Also thinking that I can do my own instead of buying one. I know I can cut the gears just not sure what they do to the shift drum.

SP

yea its badas shifting under WOT without the clutch.. you can bang the shit outta gears.. its like a car with an automatic with a shift kit, but better.. very fun ride.. i had people watching and thinking "WHAT THE FUCK DID HE DO TO THAT THING?" its definately a rocket.. just need to gear it up

not exactly.. i have been told not to backload it over 8k rpm.. anything under is ok.. i was definately over 8k when i backloaded.. this little cub turns some serious rpm.. it runs hard, and the tune is real close, im gonna do a little more tuning with it, i know i can get a little more out of it, but it runs dam good the way it is. most importantly, i want to make sure i am on a good SAFE tune. i don't run my bikes terribly lean, i like them to have plenty of fuel, but still run hard.

this may be a dumb question. i do understand that the forks will wear eventually, but what if i used a full synthetic oil in the tranny?? it sure would cut down on shift fork wear, but on a side note would the synthetic oil make the clutch slip? i would think not considering i am using a lockout on the clutch.. i am really considering trying the synthetic oil.. if it makes it slip i'll just drain it out and put regular oil back in it..

The forks wear based on the load put on them, not the lack of lubrication.

I have a WCR 1-5 N down tranny and I just tore my motor down, put it all back together over the weekend.

Forks look great, tranny looked great. Ask anyone, my bike has been beaten to death, rode by everyone and their brother at the track, dunes, etc.

These things are pretty damn durable...you will be perfectly fine. I was told by WCR to run ATF Type F in the trans, and change it every other ride.

I keep saying, adding an override is like adding 10-20HP, and it should be on every bike...:)