Cylinder questoin

Was putting my cylinders on today. All I had was a 1/2 inch torque wrench. What size would work well for it? Kinda a tight squeeze. There expensive so don't wont to go out and purchase the wrong one. Thanks to anyone that helps out.

Jesse M

Edited by SlpBanshee

IMHO a 1/2" drive torque wrench has no use on a banshee except maybe the hubs or swinger pivot bolt. Most 1/2" drive torque wrenches are going to have a range too high especially for engine assembly. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range, so thats where you ideally want to be when in use. I would get a 3/8 drive 5-70 ft/lb wrench and a 1/4" drive inch pound wrench. that will cover you for anything you need on a bike. Specifacally for your question, i use 3/8" drive snap on for cylinders and case bolts/nuts. And you get what you pay for in torque wrenches.

on my last build of my bike I didn't torque anything on the engine. and I split the case. But it has been running strong for a while now.

It is a good thing to Torque every nut and bolt. But you need crows feet to torque the cylinders down.

I have 3 sizes of torque wrenches. I guess you accumulate them when you have been working on car/ trucks/ and race cars all your life.

on my last build of my bike I didn't torque anything on the engine. and I split the case. But it has been running strong for a while now.

It is a good thing to Torque every nut and bolt. But you need crows feet to torque the cylinders down.

I have 3 sizes of torque wrenches. I guess you accumulate them when you have been working on car/ trucks/ and race cars all your life.

How do you torque accurately with a crows foot wrench? Any time you change the center line of the force the torque ratio changes such as use with a crows foot, swivel or wobble extension.

I use a 3/8" drive ft lbs and a 3/8" drive in lbs for all my assembly work. And the cylinder nuts are a bitch to get to without changing the center line of force applied with the wrench.

SP