***Please take this POLL about water and sticking throttle**

Do you have a problem when hitting water puddle or creeks?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Have you had a problem when hitting water? YES

2. Did it bog or rev? Rev

3. Do you have stock carbs? YES

4. Do they have the tors still on top? NO

5. What year is your banshee? 1988

My throttle has always stuck when hitting water and it also used to die shortly after until I took the wire harness apart and sealed the crap out of it. Now it only has the sticking throttle.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may open up the tolerance on the slide a little.  And polish the hell out of it.  it has to be something of a tight tolerance.  I will have to spec out a set of carbs that don't stick and then spec out the stockers....

That sounds like a real good idea. With the tight tolerances that come with precision parts, a difference of 0.001" could make all the difference. I would say, but I am not sure, the carb body itself is casted and the slide would appear to be forged. Either way, if they are not made from the same molds or tools and dies every time, it is possible to have differences between the same parts. Being that I have worked in the casting and forging industry, I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

:twisted:

It just occurred to me that I had no problem when running regular Bel-Ray oil at 40:1. Since I switched to MC-1 at 50:1 I've been having a problem. Does anyone think there's a chance that slightly more premix or an oil that would be less affected by cooling (changing viscosity) could make a difference. If there isn't enough oil or it became too thick such as with the freezing theory that could possibly make a difference.

The 91 Banshee I brought home yesterday has THE problem too. :(

My specs:

91 Banshee, FMF Fattys, VForce Reeds, Stock carbs, Thumb throtte, TORS in place but unplugged, balance pipe has been removed and plugged, no airbox, K&N filter, checked everything for air leaks earlier and didn't find any.

Went for my first ride on it last evening. I think it was around 65-70 degrees out. During the first hour of my ride, I had no problems. I ran through quite a few mud and water holes (although I wasn't splashing much, just going slowly) with no problems. I rode a dirt road for a while in 3rd/4th gear with no problem. Stopped a few of times and twice when I shut it off, could hear the radiator boiling or something (probably unrelated). On my way home, it started barely raining but it didn't cool off much outside. I noticed a few times that it wouldn't drop all the way back to idle immediately, it would drop down to "almost" idle speed, then after a few seconds, go to idle. On one steep downhill section, I had the clutch in and was drifting when it started to rev by itself. It didn't go full throttle, but it did go pretty quick. I blipped the throttle and it went away. Finally when I got home, I let it idle and got off, checking over things and it started to rev again. First it went to half throttle and stopped, I blipped the throttle a few times and it started to back off, then it went wide open. I turned off the kill switch and IT KEPT RUNNING. Then finally, I jumped on and dumped the clutch to kill it.

Could it be related to the premix ratio? The lack of airbox? Anything else? I'm not sure what oil and mix is in mine now since I'm still burning the previous owner's gas but I think he said it was Klotz at 32:1 or 40:1.

I also plan on putting a stock airbox on if I can find one since I do ride in a bit of water usually and don't want to suck it into the engine.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Hopefully we can figure this thing out together.

Mine used to never do it at all and I've played in the best of swamp water laying everywhere areas for hours. Then the last 2 times I've ridden around like that I'd hit the water (2ft) hard enough to splash pretty good and coming out of the water a second later I'd give it pretty good throttle and it would stick every time. I was recreating it that way. It was in early spring and not incredibly cold out but the water was pretty cold.

I'm thinking the water hitting the carbs made them contract a tiny bit and held the slides up. They could probably use a little bit of cleaning as well. I had a stretch ahead and I'd let it rev and it would rev for about 100 yards and then stop.

• 1 month later...

OK... never had a sticking problem til today. I went riding for about 45 minutes. Outside temp was about 70. Rode mostly trails a little open stuff. No problems.

Came home and washed it. Started it up to ride it around to the garage and it stuck a little just off idle. Blipped the throttle and it idled right down. About 1/2 hour later my kid came home and asked if we could go for a ride. I went to the gas station for more gas, came back and we went for a ride. It was sticking left and right. So we have almost 45 minutes from the time it got wet and stick the first time to the the time I actually went for a ride and it stuck repeatedly for the 1/2 hour we were riding.

My specs...

28MM bored stock carbs.

Toomey 2:1 filter with outerwear.

TORS removed.

Boyeson reeds.

No engine work that I know of.

This crap has got to stop 'cause I'm not going to tolerate it. WE HAVE GOT TO GET THIS FIGURED OUT!!!

• 6 months later...