Sand Tires

WuddupDoc

Hello, I have never really rode in the dunes so I have a couple of questions. Me and my friends plan on taking the adventure soon to ride in the dunes, and I need helping deciding on a tire. The thing is, I very rarely ride in dunes and usually ride flat land, or harder ground, but this may blow up to a weekly thing. Is their a tire that will withstand my occasional flat land riding, like its maybe once a month, but at same time will be perfect with the sand? And do I have to change my front tires into dune tires? I would rather not but all opionons help.

Hello, I have never really rode in the dunes so I have a couple of questions. Me and my friends plan on taking the adventure soon to ride in the dunes, and I need helping deciding on a tire. The thing is, I very rarely ride in dunes and usually ride flat land, or harder ground, but this may blow up to a weekly thing. Is their a tire that will withstand my occasional flat land riding, like its maybe once a month, but at same time will be perfect with the sand? And do I have to change my front tires into dune tires? I would rather not but all opionons help.

Check out Rocky Mountain ATV. They have several tires for both. You wont get around in the sand as good without say a "hauler extreme" or something but those tires run about 3 bills a set and you wouldn't want to ride them anywhere but the sand unless your just "to and from" the sand.

Front sand tires are nice but not needed. My wife road in the sand for years with no fronts.

We just have 2 sets of tires for each of our bikes. Sand tires and dirt tires. Both sets are on rims (the only way to go, changing back and forth sucks ass). Only takes a few minutes to change over, but well worth it IMO cause there is nothing like a good set of sand tires for hooking up at the dunes!

SP

Check out Rocky Mountain ATV. They have several tires for both. You wont get around in the sand as good without say a "hauler extreme" or something but those tires run about 3 bills a set and you wouldn't want to ride them anywhere but the sand unless your just "to and from" the sand.

Front sand tires are nice but not needed. My wife road in the sand for years with no fronts.

We just have 2 sets of tires for each of our bikes. Sand tires and dirt tires. Both sets are on rims (the only way to go, changing back and forth sucks ass). Only takes a few minutes to change over, but well worth it IMO cause there is nothing like a good set of sand tires for hooking up at the dunes!

SP

Im thinking about dual stock rim setup. What size tire should I run with said paddles? I am total newb when it comes to dune straight up. I am going to get the haulers I read to many reviews to not get them

The only good rear sand tire is a paddle tire. They will die a miserable, screaming death if used more than just crossing the street on pavement.

I am the one dissident in that I prefer my Sand Skate II's v-paddles for duning over the straight paddle Haulers. I have a set of both, I use the V paddles more. Maybe a Hauler with a 10" rim would be acceptable, but my 21x12x8 8 paddle tires are really only good for drag racing. If I were to only have 1 tire, I would get SKII's for sure.

You don't need a ribbed front tire in the sand, but once you use them, you won't use knobbies in the sand again. Take your time and find a set of fronts on eBay. I picked up a basically new front set on Douglas Blues for $65.

Edited by jayzx750

Im thinking about dual stock rim setup. What size tire should I run with said paddles? I am total newb when it comes to dune straight up. I am going to get the haulers I read to many reviews to not get them

I like the 8" rims myself since the rims are so much lighter then a 10" rim. I have a set of 20" haulers on 10" rims and a set of 21" haulers on 8" rims and I really like the 21"s better.

SP

The thing is I read into the haulers and I read that they are some SERIOUS tires. I read that they're not that much fun when your just going riding because you never know when the bikes just going to pull a wheelie.

I am looking to go riding in the dunes, but have fun, not drag race so much, but I def would like a tire I could throw the rear tires out, but still line up vs someone and get grip. Any tire like that? And what tire size is our stock banshee rims/tires

Sounds like you might want to look into a set of sand play tires. Like the Sand Skate II's. They are a paddle tire that doesn't balloon like the haulers or extremes. Which are not for turning and doing donuts. Straight paddle tires are made for drag racing apps only.

You would benefit from a set of "V-Style" paddles.

Keep the knobby fronts for now. I have a feeling that once you ride sand, you will be back for more. In a short amount of time I might add. Soooo, at that time, pick up a set of fronts. Since you are a mostly just playing around. Get a front tire with a "Mohawk" design. Allows for easier and more precise turning.

I mostly dune with a few drags and I love my haulers! I am running a 4 mil with a plus 4" swinger and don't have trouble with it standing up all the time. Only when I want it to (mostly!).

I don't have any issues with the haulers for a play tire. I wouldn't ever run anything else.

I have a set of sand stars on my wife's 400 and they are a good tire also.

So many choices, and so many opinions! Lol!

SP

• 2 weeks later...

look, for sand, all you need is a set of paddles... forget brands... although for just playing around, the "V" style paddle would be optimal, better turning. no need to change front tires unless you plan on being a more frequent duner. duning and hillshooting is basically all i do. i run 8 paddle haulers on a 10 inch rim, though im going to some 21x11x8 10 paddles soon, but that is because i am building my bike for it. bottom line is, if this isnt something you will be doing all the time, then find some cheap paddles on rims(no matter the brand) and throw them on. your bike looks pretty stock, so dont go over an 8 paddle and you shouldnt have to worry about wheelying, unless youre poppin clutches. so go, have a BLAST, and let us know how it went.

Edited by tapout94