cant down shift

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant i go the hillbilly way about it and just use a bolt i have and a nut wont that do the same thing??

No! It's not the same. That bolt is an eccentric bolt. That's what you use to adjust the position of the shift claw. You also need the washer with the locking tab. If your pieces are gone I would be fairly concerned about where they went. You don't want that shit flying around inside your clutch cover. You can tear allot of shit up inside there.

SP

ok i found some stuff out the nut and screw is gone.... how do i get another one?? i made a circle around that thing that is missing.

Same thing happened to me, the eccentric screw sheared off and i could not shift worth a shit.

Made my own eccentric screw and made it look identical to the stock one. Used the same nut and lock washer off the one the broke off.

Been like this for 2 years now and no problems. Make sure you clean the oil out of the hole and use some blue lock tight on the new bolt.

Not sure if you can see it in my pic on the top left here, but it's identical too the oem one with the slice in the top also.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/sav...hiftmods005.jpg

Edited by savage420

ok we got some problems. i think my shifter shaft is messed up cuz when i took the cover off to see how it shift the claw that grabs the shift star is only grabbing it with the bottom.like the claw is not even and if i make it even with my hand and try to shift it the claw just misses all together.

ok we got some problems. i think my shifter shaft is messed up cuz when i took the cover off to see how it shift the claw that grabs the shift star is only grabbing it with the bottom.like the claw is not even and if i make it even with my hand and try to shift it the claw just misses all together.

Adjust the eccentric screw until both "claws" on the shift shaft have even distance between the lugs on the shift star.

Also make sure your shift shaft is pushed in all the way.

yes it's supposed to move the shift shaft up and down, thats the purpose of the eccentric (offset) shaft.

thats why it's not advised to build your own, unless you can buy the correct bolt then cut the head off and press the top off axis by about 3/16 then it wont work properly.

it's yamaha part # 345028-001 and it's only $8, even if you have to get the screw/nut and washer your only into it about $13 so just get the right parts. you'll spend at least that much effort trying to make one thats half the quality.

also, you dont have to and shouldnt loctite the screw, thats the whole reason for the locknut and washer. once you get the screw where it needs to be you tighten the locknut then bend the tab over on the washer, they are there to keep the screw from backing out....

if you loctite it in then it shears off again you wont be able to get it out unless you drill it/heat it up and use an easy out on it. by just using the locknut if it shears again then you just use a pick or something to spin whats left of the shaft out then re-install the new parts again....

i'm assuming what was left of the old one was easy to remove? if you loctited that new thing you made in then shear it off it wont be so easy to get out next time. i'd highly recommend that you pull it out, clean all the crap out of the threads then re-install the proper parts...

yeah it was easy to take the busted end out, well it took me a little bit cuz i had to use an ice pick. How do i add stuff to purchase at FAST? or do i have to call them? I might just go and get a new shifter shaft, modded shift star, and that screw washer and nut. just start fresh incase something is messed up.

yeah it was easy to take the busted end out, well it took me a little bit cuz i had to use an ice pick. How do i add stuff to purchase at FAST? or do i have to call them? I might just go and get a new shifter shaft, modded shift star, and that screw washer and nut. just start fresh incase something is messed up.

Just call Jeff. I bought a shift shaft, spring, torsion screw and all for 70 bux. Dont be cheap or a hillbilly, buy the shiet

Edited by drap660

just to clairify, i wasnt trying to come off like a dick...

i've done the "chop the head off a bolt" trick to get my bike going again but it's only been when i sheered the bolt off at the beginning of a trip and after all the local shops failed to have the part in stock i was looking at either sitting in camp drinking for 2+ days or redneck it up to keep riding. under those circumstances it's perfectly acceptable to do that trick but once you get back to civilization you need to get the correct part.

and dont loctite it in! lol

• 2 weeks later...