Tore my tranny down

01CandyBlue

At Sand Hollow three weeks ago my bike quit shifting and was making horrible clunking noises like when I was on the gas like it was trying to down shift gears under a load. I tore the clutch cover off and we could not get the bike to get into a gear higher then third on the trailer. I split the case and cant find anything wrong, the forks look straight and I can get everything to spin and turn the shift drum through the gears. Occasionally when shifting by hand I get a rough spot between second and third but with it out of the bike and the case off I know everything is not in perfect alignment. How do I find my issue?

I did find that my hot rods crank that has 4 weekends on it decided to lose its stator bearing and tear some shit up so I guess it is good I tore it down this is the second one of these cranks to lose bearings with low hours, they are junk.

At Sand Hollow three weeks ago my bike quit shifting and was making horrible clunking noises like when I was on the gas like it was trying to down shift gears under a load. I tore the clutch cover off and we could not get the bike to get into a gear higher then third on the trailer. I split the case and cant find anything wrong, the forks look straight and I can get everything to spin and turn the shift drum through the gears. Occasionally when shifting by hand I get a rough spot between second and third but with it out of the bike and the case off I know everything is not in perfect alignment. How do I find my issue?

I did find that my hot rods crank that has 4 weekends on it decided to lose its stator bearing and tear some shit up so I guess it is good I tore it down this is the second one of these cranks to lose bearings with low hours, they are junk.

measure how far 2nd gear engages, and inspect the shift drum for a worn channel at the top of 2nd. minimal wear can cause it to not fully engage. also, inspect the dog on the shift fork for wear. the fork can also be bent, but it is hard to tell just by looking at it, so if you cannot see any evident problem, it's most likely a bent fork. being off by as little as 1/16" can cause the issues, and you have to spin the gears a bit, sometimes, to go to the next gear. also, if the gear slipped out and started jumping over the dogs, that will bend the fork and round the cogs, so you may have to replace those gears too.