Still considering banshee need some input

lmaloch

So i'm buying a new quad in a few weeks and i'm torn on what i should buy. I've been stuck on the banshee train for a long time now but i got to ride a new raptor 700 last weekend and it blew me away. I am currently on a blaster with a toomey system, intake mods, better shocks, and a bunch of other goodies. The question is this.... will i be happy with a banshee or should i get a raptor 660 to tide me off for a while till next year when i can afford a new 700. I love the two strokes but i've never been on a banshee. I know they are alot more power than my blaster but if i get a stock shee will it be a vast improvement over my modified blaster?

I know i will have some biased answeres lol but i've never been on a banshee so who better to ask? :D

BTW we do mostly fast trail riding and a little racing on the sand bars.

in order

1. banshee

2.raptor 700

3. raptor 660

That's a good start. Can you give me any reasons for the order of your list? Also how much of a difference will i notice in the ride quality, and the power of a "stock form" banshee over my modded blaster?

I realize it would be much simpler to just ride somebody elses banshee but everybody i ride with is stuck on four strokes lol.

700's are great if your riding on the trails and woods, the torque is hard to beat.. they can be lugged a couple gears higher than another quad and pull fine, they actually run better when u short shift them and let the torque pull you. they are great quads, but are top heavy and very high up to me, they have an uncomfortable position stock, and NEED higher bars first and foremost, and then they need to be widened out to handle a little better , after that, they are pretty nice and comfortable

a banshee is a banshee..thats about all u can say haha.. they are very comfortable to ride and very reliable machines, i would really ride one first if i were you,,, you cant compare them to a blaster, its not just a faster blaster, but they arnt for everyone, they take a bit more effort to ride hard and like any bike need some improvements , higher bars, wider arms and axle aree a must and real shocks being the most important thing, add a set of pipes, some proper jetting and its a new bike, you should really ride one first though, its basically 100% the total opposite of a raptor 700, in every sense, both are fun and both are great bikes, just 2 totally different animals

and dont rule out the raptor 660, they are fun too, you can buy them DIRT cheap now, more than any quad though, the 660 really really nEEDS wider arms and axle right away, they are VERY narrow and top heavy, widen it out, higher bars, fun bike

Edited by Michael Jackson

So i'm buying a new quad in a few weeks and i'm torn on what i should buy. I've been stuck on the banshee train for a long time now but i got to ride a new raptor 700 last weekend and it blew me away. I am currently on a blaster with a toomey system, intake mods, better shocks, and a bunch of other goodies. The question is this.... will i be happy with a banshee or should i get a raptor 660 to tide me off for a while till next year when i can afford a new 700. I love the two strokes but i've never been on a banshee. I know they are alot more power than my blaster but if i get a stock shee will it be a vast improvement over my modified blaster?

I know i will have some biased answeres lol but i've never been on a banshee so who better to ask? :D

BTW we do mostly fast trail riding and a little racing on the sand bars.

I would say hands down a Banshee. Starting out stock with a Banshee, you can mod it till it will out run the raptor. It will take more money to make a Raptor put out the same power as a modded Banshee. Plus, the Banshee is soooo much easier to work on.

I would say even a stock Banshee would be a vast improvement over your modded Blaster. If not, your only a set of pipes away!

SP

I would say the pecking order is more like....

1: Banshee

2: Tri-Z

3: YZ 490

4: YZ 250

5: 700 grizzly

6: other 4 pokes

(Yeah asking for advice on which quad to get on a shee forum is biased for the most part)

As for the gains of a shee over a modded blasty I can tell you that my stock shee was way faster than my modded blasty, now that it's piped it feels like riding a bull.

700's are great if your riding on the trails and woods, the torque is hard to beat.. they can be lugged a couple gears higher than another quad and pull fine, they actually run better when u short shift them and let the torque pull you. they are great quads, but are top heavy and very high up to me, they have an uncomfortable position stock, and NEED higher bars first and foremost, and then they need to be widened out to handle a little better , after that, they are pretty nice and comfortable

a banshee is a banshee..thats about all u can say haha.. they are very comfortable to ride and very reliable machines, i would really ride one first if i were you,,, you cant compare them to a blaster, its not just a faster blaster, but they arnt for everyone, they take a bit more effort to ride hard and like any bike need some improvements , higher bars, wider arms and axle aree a must and real shocks being the most important thing, add a set of pipes, some proper jetting and its a new bike, you should really ride one first though, its basically 100% the total opposite of a raptor 700, in every sense, both are fun and both are great bikes, just 2 totally different animals

That's what i would expect. We do alot of woods riding but we move along at a good pace. We don't do alot of putting around. As long as the banshee will handle well (i'm riding a blaster, everything handles better lol) and will keep up with the raptors in the woods and on the drags i'll be perfectly happy. My blaster is dead reliable and would hope the shee will be to. Would love to try out a shee before i purchase, but out of a group of 20+ riders i am the ONLY two stroke. The only guy that even owns a shee never rides it and it's a drag bike anyhow.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine bought a Banshee brand new off the show room floor. I rode his bike a bunch of times, and fell in love with it. Even a stock Banshee feels like it belongs in the fast world of racing quads. 2-strokes are a totally different machine. With the power band and high revs, and the response of them, they're just totally different. The suspension felt good and responsive, but could be better. Then again, any new quad could use better suspensoin. And just sitting on it is very comfortable. They make you feel like you're in control of the bike, not the bike being in control of you. Go test ride a stock Banshee, and you'll see what I'm talking about. You wouldn't look at a raptor again.

EDIT: I ride nothing but fast and aggressive trails, and wouldn't ever think of getting another bike.

Plus, the Banshee is soooo much easier to work on.

I would say even a stock Banshee would be a vast improvement over your modded Blaster. If not, your only a set of pipes away!

SP

That is a great selling point as i was not sure how hard it would be to work on either quad.

That's what i would expect. We do alot of woods riding but we move along at a good pace. We don't do alot of putting around. As long as the banshee will handle well (i'm riding a blaster, everything handles better lol) and will keep up with the raptors in the woods and on the drags i'll be perfectly happy. My blaster is dead reliable and would hope the shee will be to. Would love to try out a shee before i purchase, but out of a group of 20+ riders i am the ONLY two stroke. The only guy that even owns a shee never rides it and it's a drag bike anyhow.

yea a banshee is fine in the woods, i almost like mine better than 450;s because you can actually creep very slow in gear without it bucking forward and stalling all the time.. i have no problem with mine in the woods at all and of course love it in the open, its really all personal preference, and what u like to ride, you gota ride a banshee first before you make a decision, its just a whole different animal than a blaster, and of course any 4 stroke

banshee will be way easier to work on than a 700, the 700 is full of electronics and sensors and wires, the banshee is about as simple as they come

to me a shee is a balls to the wall kinda bike. your either in or out no in between.

i owned a 2005 raptor 660, i liked it for tight trail riding it is more suitable for it. kinda hard to hit the powerband on tight trails on a shee.

Ok here is another strong point:

They make the Banshee to this very day the same as they did twenty years ago . They have only done a couple of light mods that you wont find disturbing.

I believe the only upgrades that were done that I know of is : slightly different plugs on some wiring harnesses, after the first year (1987) they went to a A-arm suspension, they later went with a high output stater assembly and a different handlebar set up for the later year bikes.

Oh yes the huge tail light in the later year bikes. I almost forgot that one.

Parts will be dirt cheap as they made so many of them.

They will always be popular as they made so many of them.

You can get these as cheap as $1,500.00 for a good one all the way to $20,000.00 or more.

Dare to be different in your group.

Sling dirt all over them a few times with one and they cant catch you.....lolol

Damn man: I waited 20 years to finally own one. I now have the addiction and own two.

Ill never sell them.

Be patient or call the dealership in Missouri that has the last new one for sale as It didnt sell he other day on E-bay.

at $5,999.00 its a decent deal.

You can get a really good lightly used one for far less than I did last year at $6,400.00 for the 2006 Special editionright out of the crate (NOS).

Good luck man

Edited by R. Rollins

I have had the 660, :down: widened and lowered with the 686 kit and cammed. Now if I had the choice to have 2 raptor 660s or 1 banshee for the same price and could not sell for profit. You better believe it, Banshee all the way, that is if you want something fun! The banshee keeps a grin on my face, but yet to find a 4 poke to keep my interest, unless racing, or modding.