put lock up on, now bike is hard to shift

eagle

We threw a lockup on a friends bike today and when I rode it, you could hardly pull the clutch lever to shift it. Damn near impossible. Does it need adjusted or something? The guy that sold it to him said it would work just like the stocker but that is not what I experienced. Help.....

We threw a lockup on a friends bike today and when I rode it, you could hardly pull the clutch lever to shift it. Damn near impossible. Does it need adjusted or something? The guy that sold it to him said it would work just like the stocker but that is not what I experienced. Help.....

the weights put pressure more pressure on the plate, the higher the rpm's, so yah, it'll be harder to pull, unless it's near idle.

I don't think the centrifugal force of the lock up is going to make the clutch lever hard to actuate. It can engage while the lever is pulled in at high RPMs. If the lever is hard to pull I would say you have a mechanical issue somewhere.

Most guys do run an override with a lock up but it doesn't sound like that is what your experiencing if the clutch is just hard to disengage.

SP

It will be harder to pull for a brief second or two until the RPMs die down a little...

At the end of a full on pass mine takes just a little more effort to pull, but like I said, nothing unbearable at all...

not like mine...with no lock up and 6 a&s heavy springs.

Lmao its a workout thats for sure.

Dan

Def don't have a mechanical issue. Lockup cover, new cable, and worked fine without the lockup. Common sense says because of the centrifugal force applied at high rpms, it would be hard to pull the lever during shifts. The tool that sold him the kit said it should shift just like a stocker. :confused:

As soon as the rpms drop, the clutch cable pulls just fine. He was just told it should work so was not sure if there is some adjustment to get the lever to pull nice for high rpm shifts.

The bike is a 535 cheetah. Thanks guys

Def don't have a mechanical issue. Lockup cover, new cable, and worked fine without the lockup. Common sense says because of the centrifugal force applied at high rpms, it would be hard to pull the lever during shifts. The tool that sold him the kit said it should shift just like a stocker. :confused:

As soon as the rpms drop, the clutch cable pulls just fine. He was just told it should work so was not sure if there is some adjustment to get the lever to pull nice for high rpm shifts.

sounds strange to me. my clutch isnt hard to pull in at high RPM's on my 10mm cub motor with a lockup. in fact, i dont notice any difference.

shift like a stocker? BS. bikes with lockups and no override are hard to shift.

guess you could go with an EZ pull lever from MSR.

Mine doesn't pull hard at high RPMs either. I don't notice anything different accept that it may want to engage a little at high RPMs with the clutch pulled in, but that is just the levers pressing against the pressure plate. But that doesn't change the tension on my cable.

My shifts nicely and isn't an override but it is definitely far from stock.

Don't know what to tell you man.

SP

So how would you guys compare the clutch pull say in a drag race compared to a stock clutch pull? About the same, little stiffer?

Loco, why are bikes with an override hard to shift? Does this have nothing to do with pulling the lever? Do they drag or something?

bikes with a lockup and WITHOUT an override are hard to shift. it is due to the fact that a lockup keeps the clutch from slipping under power. this also makes it harder to shift at high RPM's even with the clutch pulled in.

the lever has nothing to do with it. most guys who drag race run a lockup and override, otherwise the bike wont shift under power. you would have to let way off the gas and pull the clutch in to get it to shift.