PJ or PWK?

bansheesa

Hi Guys

Would just like to know if the 34PJ or 35PWK will be better for the following setup: 65mm Moderate/aggressive trail port Cheetah cub STD stroke (RDZ Racing), v-force 3 reeds, +4 timing, STD airbox with no lid and Pro Design dual stage filter (this will be with aftermarket adaptor boots to fit 33-35mm carbs to the box). Pro design head with 21-22cc domes (depending), 32:1 belray on pump gas. Temp here ranges from 70-90 F. Used mostly for trail raiding. O and at sea level.

Also if you guys can tell me the jetting needed for these carbs.

Thanks guys for all your help.

If your trail riding then ditch the v3's and put dual stage reeds on a set of stock cages. If it were me I would run 28's or 33's to get as much snap down in the low and mid as I could. I would also go as high as I could on compression. What pipes are you running?

if you are dead set on the 34 or 35 and have the cash, go with the 35. They are a little better of a carb and a little easier to get dialed in. Also the seperate idle and choke circuits are nice unlike the 34.

Most everybody on here is gonna tell you to go with the PWK's. I'll say this much, I had PJ's and loved them. Very responsive, snappy, and easy to set up. If I could find a set big enough for my 10mil build, I would buy them again. Just kinda curious though. How did you get a moderate/aggressive trail port on a Cub? They come from CP Industries pretty much drag ported. For a trail bike, I would have either kept the stock cyinders and ported those, or went with a Cheetah Power Valve motor. That's just my personal thoughts though. Good luck with the build, and welcome to the site.

Im very confused. :blink: Trail port cub motor with vf3's and 35mm pwk's. The two low-mid cubs Dave built, have been re-sleeved and had the exhaust ports dropped. We run carbon tech mid tension reeds and 28mm mikuni tm's bored out to 30mm on them. One runs pt mids, and the other runs pro circuits. What pipe are you running?

I have FMF Gold series with pc2 silencers. What is wrong with v-force 3 reeds? I know that you lose power low down with larger carbs, that is why I am asking your opinions. Please check the link below to see that cubs come unported.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Bans...sspagenameZWD1V

I have FMF Gold series with pc2 silencers. What is wrong with v-force 3 reeds? I know that you lose power low down with larger carbs, that is why I am asking your opinions. Please check the link below to see that cubs come unported.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Bans...sspagenameZWD1V

Yes it comes unported. All that means is the casting is still rough. Like in this picture. You can see the small intake ports on the sides are a rough casting. They need to be cleaned up. So your trail port is just going to be cleaing up the castings. The cylinder is still cast with port timings that favor drag racing. A raising exhaust port shifts the power from the bottom end to the top end. It creats more power but it is also makes the power at a higher RPM. The cylinder already roughly has an exahsut port. It isnt like RDZ is going to knock the hole in the cylinder for the exhaust port depending on what port job you want.

A cylinder that makes 90hp 2 stroke out of the box isnt going to have any low end.

Cubs_Intake_eb.jpg

33's or 35's will be fine on a cub. 28's will be kind of small. Since you alreay bought it you might as well try it to see how you like it. If your willing to buy a set of carbs and are not sure if you will be keeping the cylinders I would go with the 33's.

That way you if you go back to a ported stock cylinder you will still have a good pair of carbs for them. If your going to be dead set on keeping the cub then I would go with the 35's. Both sets of carbs will be fine on a cub.

josh

Did he charge you for a trail port? Are the cylinders already being shipped to you?

Different pipes, more compression, smaller carbs, and a low or mid tension reed will help. The vf3 is a high flow cage, and good for a cub motor if your gonna dune it or drag race it. However, that high exhaust port is going to make the power window narrow and make trail riding miserable. To make it an honest trail port, they have to be resleeved and have the exhaust and transfer ports cut lower. The one motor dave did with pc's and mikuni tm 28's made 94 hp, and redlined pretty low. The other one with the pt mids and the 36mm lectron single made 87 hp and redlined pretty low as well.