What caused this crack in my case?

Guest utleybanshee

I would say it was started by a chain break and the crack grew. Or the roughness of the metal allowed stress to build up and form a crack. That is why all your conecting rods in drag engines are pollished smooth. There is no rough castings for a stress riser to occure and lead to a failuer.

Do you have all of your motor mounts tight, including the bottom ones?

josh

this might be wrong but have you been hitting jumps latly? if so maybe ur chain was alittle tight when hitting the jumps and coming down and pulling on the sprocket which will put pressure on ur case?maybe idk just a guess cuz my buddy did that exact same thing on a blaster

I agree it was the chain. When you put that thing back together make sure you get a case saver on it before that happens again

Guest utleybanshee
I agree it was the chain. When you put that thing back together make sure you get a case saver on it before that happens again

IM000311.jpg

IM000315.jpg

its a drag bike has never seen a jump... and front sprocket is an 18 to big for a case savor... but i was thinking the chain was too tight.. it happened after a launch.. i launched in a lil bit of sand then spin spin spin.. grip and i heard the crack.. so i was guessing the chain was too tight..

[its a drag bike has never seen a jump... and front sprocket is an 18 to big for a case savor... but i was thinking the chain was too tight.. it happened after a launch.. i launched in a lil bit of sand then spin spin spin.. grip and i heard the crack.. so i was guessing the chain was too tight..

That is a nice looking bike! If you launched in some sand and then hooked really hard it would not have made a differance how tight your cahin was i dont think. If you hooked that hard then i am sure thats what did it but it does look like the case was already week from a chain break.

Guest utleybanshee
also.. probably should consider some straight cuts in 2.68 ratio or less so you can use the smaller sprockets and a case saver...

ok then i never thought of that.. thanks..